Save me from compression fittings!

tomatotomataJune 18, 2012

Is there a drip system that uses something other than compression fittings? Not only are they a pain to put together, but they aren't reusable.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


Are you using a pressure regulator? I get a little help from good beefy needle nose pliers or a large blunt nose wire cutters. Aloha

    Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 11:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

1/2" barb fittings work on some hose, but then you have to mess with clamps. Compression fittings can be reused, they're just a pain in the behind to take off. Took me about 20 minutes one day, to take an elbow off that I had just put on. Gently rock the tubing and fitting while trying to pull on each end.

    Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 7:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
familyman2004(z8 MS)

Yes there is a much better alternative to compression fittings : Direct-Loc Fittings: aka Spin Loc, Perma Loc, Easy Loc or Power Loc: Direct-Loc fittings are one the most versatile drip tubing connector fittings available for Drip irrigation. They are sold by most of the major online drip suppliers I have also seen them at Lowes albeit more expensive.

    Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 3:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I use the Gardena connectors. The 1/2'/13mm pieces come in all different shapes, from inline, to T-shape, to 4-way connectors. And they're reusable.

In the US, you can get them from Amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardena micro irrigation components

    Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 2:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sherwood Botsford(3a)

To remove a compression fitting: Grab the pipe and fitting with about 4 inches of pipe between your hand and the fitting. Now: Pretend you are operating a crank. One hand is fixed, the other cranks in a 3" circle. While doing this keep a steady tension.

You will extract the tube about 1/50 of an inch with each revolution. The end of the pipe will be mangled. Snip off.

    Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 6:43AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
metal inlets for anti-siphon valve manifold
Hi, I'm installing a new sprinkler system and I read...
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
Irrigation upgrade - who to call?
My property has an old irrigation system. It works...
cakbu z9 CA
Continuous Loop Dripline
While watching a YouTube video on drip line installation,...
sprinkler selection question
I'm doing some sprinkler maintenance and replacement...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™