Grounding a submersible pump

arky217June 21, 2013

I just had a well drilled with a PCV casing. The well driller said to tap into the ground wire at the well head and run the tap to a driven ground rod near the casing.

In other words, the ground wire from the service panel should go to a separate ground rod (not the ground rod for the service panes) located at the well head, and then continue on down the well to the pumps ground wire.

Does this sound right ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

ark,

Your description is a little confusing. Please make the detail more clear and your terminology more generic. Aloha

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 12:16AM
arky217

"ark,

Your description is a little confusing. Please make the detail more clear and your terminology more generic. Aloha"

OK, how's this:

The wiring for a 2 wire submersible pump consists of 3 conductors; the hot wire, the neutral wire and the ground wire.
The ground wire is attached to the ground bus bar in the service panel and goes to the ground lead of the pump.

What my driller said is that for protecting the pump from lightning, I should drive a 1/2"x8' copper grounding rod in the earth near the well (the same type of grounding rod typically used for earth grounding the house electrical service panel).
From this grounding rod, I should run a wire and tie in to the ground wire of the pumps wiring at the well head.

(Sorry if that's still not clear enough; I don't know how to make it any clearer)

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:51AM
lehua49

ark,

Sorry if I bruised your ego by my request. I would say that, after reading your clarification, your electrical knowledge was at the level to answer your own question. For lightening strikes to ground you want the shortest path to earth. So a copper ground rod closest to the pumps would be the best way to ensure that you protect your pump wiring. Two separate rods would isolate the house from the well pump and vice versa even though the ground also goes to the house. So, yes I think the well driller gave you good advise. JMHO Aloha

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
Pulling water from creek for irrigation.
I have a home on a piece of property that has a stream....
mctabish1
Help with tricky (at least for me) water access
Hi, I have an issue that I'll be having to deal with...
Bob.Jackson
Fertigation help
ok well not new to gardening or growing things as i...
bigpuddin43
Drip Irrigation Help
Hi, I'm looking to install a drip irrigation system...
Dan
Irrigation Outage
Had a power outage at my home. I reset the GFI switch...
mchidiac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™