air in pipes after lawn sprinkler runs

halogengirlieJune 14, 2013

Our house was built in 1994. We recently had a plumber replace a first floor kitchen faucet and second floor bathroom faucets & their associated valves. He shut the master valve to the house and drained the water from the lines to perform this work.

We expected the usual air in the lines for the first week. However, the second floor bathroom faucet has developed a new problem. Whenever the sprinkler system runs we get air in the lines at that new faucet, ONLY at that new faucet.

The faucet I selected for that room... is one of those modern open top waterfall style faucet. So the air shoots the water across the room. Once the air escapes the line, the faucet behaves perfectly until the next time our sprinkler system runs. It only seems to occur the morning after the sprinkler system runs. We did not have this problem before the water was shut off to install the new faucets.

We asked the plumber on the phone and he thought it may be that our existing water pressure is too high. So I bought a water pressure tester. The water pressure holds between 80 - 85 psi... but did spike up to 135 during the day sometime. He recommended adding a pressure reducing valve.

We did not have this problem before our recent work... so I don't want to install this valve if it does not remedy the situation.... Does anyone here know what could cause this... or anything we should test prior to committing to this course of action?

This post was edited by halogengirlie on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 11:44

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike1059(8)

I would suggest talking to another plumber but it sounds as if when the sprinklers run the system is allowing air to be drawn in through the faucet. The only way I know to correct the problem is to install a check valve in the pipes between the sprinkler system and the house.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 2:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
capriow

When I purchased my home, (built in 1991), I quickly discovered that when the sprinklers were used they would suck all the water out of my pipes and I would get air through every faucet. I installed a brass check valve in the main line near the sprinkler pump. Now I never lose house water, but I also have NO pressure when they are on, so I must water at 4AM. I will not go the expense of a tank to maintain pressure.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
mshepherd2
How may drip lines for 4' x 8' beds?
Hi there! I'm trying to decide my drip irrigation layout...
Robin Goodrich
Continuous Loop Dripline
While watching a YouTube video on drip line installation,...
raymondo17
Problem valve
Hi, I have got a problem with my newly installed irrigation...
cozbell93
No battery watering system for small garden: recommendations
Can anyone recommends a watering system that isn't...
Justin Mettam
Sponsored Products
16" Diane Textured Bronze Wood Blades Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Eastman Full Headboard
$799.00 | Horchow
Juliette Bronze LED Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Garnet Glass
$355.50 | Bellacor
26" Minka Aire Spacesaver Brushed Steel Hugger Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Progress Lighting 5 In. Recessed Lighting Air Tight Gasket P8584-01
$5.40 | Home Depot