rainbird 5000 adjustment

jasper60103July 31, 2007

Hi All.

Recently I installed a rainbird system and I would like to tweek some of the heads.

I have rainbird 5000 rotors. I would like some tips on how to adjust the "left" stop point. Setting the right stop point is easy, just a simple turn of a screw.

I find the left more difficult. You have to twist the entire shaft left or right.

The tech showed me how to do it when the sprinklers were running. He just grasped it firmly and turned it.

Later, when I tried, it doesn't seem to turn easily and I'm afraid I may break it. Also, the manual says you can take out the assembly and rotate to the desired set point, but this sounds like more trouble.

Can someone give me some pointers here?

Fyi. Ranibird 5000 Rotor Installation guide...

http://www.rainbird.com/pdf/turf/man_5000_5000Plus_PRS.pdf

thanks,

jasper

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
all_wet(MagnoliaTx)

It can be tricky for the layperson to make rotor adjustments. The most important thing in adjusting any rotor is to set the fixed side of the rotor FIRST. (with the RB 5000, the fixed side is the left stop) You may need a set of Channel Locks to turn the head to adjust the left stop. Once you're satisfied with where it stops on the left, THEN adjust the right side with the arc adjustment screw.

All Wet
Texas Licensed Irrigator #1897 since 1984

Bookmark   July 31, 2007 at 9:39AM
jasper60103

One thing I noticed in the instructions after reviewing again.

They imply the water should be shutoff. Hence why they say "Pull up turret". FYI. I noticed the tech didn't shutoff the water first, but he's knows what he's doing.

Anyway, I think I could get a better grip if it's dry.

I'll call back my tech if all else fails.

thanks,

jasper

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 10:54AM
alabamairrigation

these heads have a left set area, in other words you have a set left sweep, you have this set then you adjust the right sweep with the screw

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 9:26AM
davespamburger_yahoo_com

I found the easiest way to adjust the left stop is to loosen the big nut (just a fraction of a turn) first. Then the shaft can be easily turned by hand. I wouldn't recommend using channel locks - it will easily damage the plastic shaft preventing proper pop up/down action.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
Discrepancy in Drip Line Water Flow
Over the weekend I installed some drip line in my garden....
raymondo17
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
mshepherd2
Irrigating with portable barrels
I'm wanting to irrigate my garden with a series of...
jon2412
Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture Sensor
I'm looking to connect a Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture...
cdmanoise
rainbird esp-rzx controller problem
After two summers of working normally, this year the...
MikeSanderson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™