Rose rosette disease? :(

Maggie.the.pearlMay 26, 2014

Hi,

I am brand new to roses and somewhat confused about what is normal in terms of appearance of new growth.

I literally just planted 2 bushes 2-3 weeks ago, which seems too short a time for problems to develop. One looks fine, the other I'm questioning. The leaves look too strange - yellow and red - and the one cane looks too thorny

I got them mail order from David Austin.

Have a look, what do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Maggie.the.pearl

I could be totally stupid as I'm new! But the top most leaves seem so shriveled, almost black. I've been watching them a few days and no change.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 2:17PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

Did they come potted up?

To me it looks as if there's a salt or other buildup in the soil and that's more than the new growth can tolerate.

If it were mine, I'd flush the soil (gently) with water. And then I'd flush it a lot more.

Leave the bush in semi shade.

Be patient. that massive cane still has potential.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 2:33PM
seil zone 6b MI

There could be any number of reasons for that funky growth but I don't think it's RRD. You got them a couple of weeks ago and planted them right away. We had some frost warnings just a couple of weeks ago, did you too? That looks like cold damage to new growth in my opinion.

As far as the thorns are concerned, some roses ARE thornier than others. I don't see anything like the massive thorniness of RRD. You wouldn't be able to see much of any green cane at all between the thrones on RRD canes.

You need to relax and be patient and let this poor thing warm up and really start growing.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 3:00PM
Maggie.the.pearl

Thanks for the responses,

They did not come potted - just in plastic bags to protect the roots.

I don't believe it could be cold damage as we haven't gotten below 40 degrees in some time. I was actually a little concerned because the usual ship time is in April and I didn't get them until the 6th of May. First week I had them the temps were in the 60s 70s which is rather warm for planting roses according to my reading?

Does flushing the soil mean shoving a hose in the ground and running it for a while? Sorry if that's a silly question.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Anyone grow Coretta Scott king?
I've always liked the look of this rose, but after...
SoFL Rose z10
Pruning Rosa moschata
I have Rosa moschata autumnalis 'Princesse de Nassau...
nada1712
Since this Forum is starting over again
I have an idea, lets post or locations and our Zones....
dan_keil_cr Keil
Candy Stripe questions...
After nursing this band from Rogue Valley along since...
nummykitchen
Question about pruning
I am talking about mostly hybrid teas here and I hope...
sara_ann-z6bok
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™