Help identifying sprinkler valve

bkenobiJuly 1, 2013

I have a sprinkler system that the previous owner installed (same old story). The system has been working fine for the last 2 seasons that we have lived in the house. I noticed the other day that one of the sprinkler heads in a zone that is turned off is weeping a bit, so I wanted to locate which valve was controlling it and repair it. I went around to all the boxes I knew about and manually actuated the sprinklers via the bleed port. I was able to locate 7 of the 10 valves, but not the one I needed. Well, that's a different problem for another day.

In one zone, the bleed port opened the valve and the sprinklers turned on. When I turned the bleed plug back, the flow did not stop. I opened the valve and checked the diaphragm and everything looked good. There is a screen on the supply side of the diaphragm but it doesn't look serviceable. After reassembly, the valve still runs full open. I assume that the solenoid is toast at this point and was hoping to replace it, but it doesn't look like it is removable. Can anyone help ID this valve so I can find parts? I have other pictures if a different view would help.

The primary features are:
* a bleed port in the center of the feed side diaphragm
* bleed port screw looks much like Toro
* solenoid that cannot be removed
* valve has 4 screws

Most of my sprinklers are Toro. The controller is Rain Brid. I have at least 3 different types of valves, so I assume the installation took place over time. The house was built in 1984, so the sytem could be up to 30 years old.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

One more picture.

Warning label on solenoid has a part number: 9-6523 or 9-652S

This post was edited by bkenobi on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 12:02

    Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 11:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I can't identify the valve for you, if it were mine, I would swap it out with a new one.

On your other issue, I would buy some type of a wire identification system, the one I use is a Sperry product. It has a transmitter, which is attached to the wire you are tracing and a small receiver, that emits a tone when the wire you are trying to find is in close proximity or touches it.

This device is very handy in electrical debugging.

Good luck!

    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 10:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

FWIW, I did eventually identify this valve. The bypass appeared identical to the Toro models and I have all Toro sprinklers. I found that it appeared to match Toro 53380 (264-06-03). This was confirmed by a HD Fowler who actually had a replacement in stock. I replaced the guts and everything works fine now.

It appears that the reason for the failure was that there must have been a pin on the bleed port internal to the valve. When I cracked the bleed screw, that pin must have been washed away/sheared off. In any case, the bleed screw was no longer capable of sealing the valve for whatever reason.

Oh, and I located the last 3 valves by determining approximately where the would likely be and having my wife turn them on and off to actuate the solenoid. After a few clicks, I was able to hear and locate them.

    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 10:42AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
2 foot break in sprinkler pvc line
I would appreciate your advice on what to use to repair...
irrigation advice needed....
I have absolutely no experience with irrigation other...
First experience with irrigation system
Our builder installed, as a part of the "package",...
Making changes of existing irrigation system
Hi folks, am hoping you can help me with these questions. I...
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
Sponsored Products
Floating Medallions Runner 2' 6" x 10' - SILVER
$299.00 | Horchow
Turquoise Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Modern Chrome 8 Square Rainshower Shower Head & Wall Mounted Arm
Hudson Reed
Nova Lighting 10519 Tusk Single Light Bent Arc Floor Lamp - 10519
$908.50 | Hayneedle
Moonrays Outdoor Lighting. Solar Powered Outdoor Color-Changing Clear Acrylic LE
$12.78 | Home Depot
Sea Gull Lighting Ceiling Mounted Lighting Webster 2-Light Russet Bronze Flush
$27.45 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™