Where's the thrips?

kentucky_rose zone 6May 12, 2012

Thrips were awful last year. I really have to search deep into a bloom to finally find one. Is it too early or are we being spared after the devastation last year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosetom(7 Atl)

I'm jealous. :(

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 3:02PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

They vary from year to year because different weathers favor the reproductive rate of thrips over their predators or vice versa. In terms of the calendar year, we haven't yet reached the period when thrips usually peak here (June), but who knows how the forward spring will affect thrips. The roses are at June stage.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 3:24PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

Spring was early BUT (and this is the biggie) grasses are later. Most years, in my area, Mothers Day is the date for the first cutting of hay. This year, the hay is short and late and the seeds are no where near ready for cutting.

Late hay is late maturing grasses. Thrips love grasses. Now to watch for when the predaceous thrips emerge. They are the good guys and they come along in great numbers when their food source (other thrips) populations have surged

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 4:24PM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

The thrips are over on this side of the mountains. The past month they have just about destroyed all the blooms, including the reds and dark colors. I'm hoping their cycle is winding down.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 4:58PM
dolzadell(7)

Saw my first fire fly last week :)

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 5:06PM
buford(7 NE GA)

I've learned never to say things like that. It's like asking for the skies to open up and trillions of thrips to descend on your roses.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 5:48PM
seil zone 6b MI

I haven't seen any yet but then I don't have many blooms open yet either. Besides, I'm just fine with it being a light year!

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 6:51PM
rosetom(7 Atl)

For this spring's flush, I religiously sprayed Conserve every week and used Avid on the buds. (The break every 3 weeks that Conserve recommends never worked.) This seemed to work for the majority of my spring flush. Many flowers had thrips in them, but they were still "cuttable" with an additional shot of Avid. I couldn't keep it up, though, and slacked off toward the end. Sure enough, about a half-dozen roses had buds that never opened and went crispy on the stems.

My Elina reaches 8 feet every season with flushes averaging several dozen blooms each time - huge, fist-size blooms. Unfortunately, the number of blooms that I've been able to enjoy per season as exhibition-clean can be counted on one hand. I hate these d*mn thrips!

I bought some of the new Naturalis stuff from Rosemania and will let you all know how that works. The handling has me very concerned, though. Rosemania even shipped it with a chemical cold pack. :o

Robbie says chilli thrips have reached his area in Nashville. I guess things will get worse before they get better.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 9:39AM
Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a

They're all here. lol

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 9:40AM
kstrong(10 So Cal)

Nah, there ALL over here.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
How to Take Cuttings...
We are officially moving Monday, and as I walked the...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
Posy Parade!
My garden is in full spring bloom so my kitchen table...
SoFL Rose z10
Looking forward to SPRING FLUSH!
The past couple of weeks my rose bushes have begun...
sara_ann-z6bok
RRD - witches broom? Knockout roses
Can any identify if this is RRD? About 25% of the bush...
CharNC
Growing roses indoors in winter with very little light
I've read many sources here where people stated that...
braverichard zone 6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™