creosote sweeping logs

freedomeagle(7)December 10, 2011

Was wondering if anyone has ever used these and how effective would they be in my Buck wood stove?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zen_man

We use them in both fireplaces. I think they say to burn one in every sixtieth fire. I hope they work, but we don't really have practical access to our chimneys to inspect them.

Merry Christmas

Bookmark   December 10, 2011 at 10:38AM
loger_gw

Have you tried shooting a picture "in the blind" without seeing your subject. This has worked well to document my cleaning before and after and the need almost yearly. I do have it fairly easy to get good Pics since I only have 60" of 14" inside dia pipe. I have access to from the roof with it�s cap off. I basically shoot multiple pics from inside the firebox up the chimney and inside the firebox that is about 6� high inside. I can extend my body inside the bottom of the firebox but that is not comfortable compared to blind shots that have worked on a 2 of 5 being good defining shots.

My cleaning is with an extended wire brush vs a log which I plan to try and document with before and after pics. Since the mid 70s I h/n seen what I felt was creosote vs soot that easily sweeps out. I had planned to try to burn what I am calling soot plus I felt if it were creosote it would burn in the firebox vs collecting "Correct"? loger

Please excuse me if this is a double post due to not seeing the 1st over a hr later.

Bookmark   December 10, 2011 at 6:24PM
rustyj14(W/PA)

The old timers used to use a white chicken and a black chicken to clean and check their chimneys!
First, they'd send down through the chimney, a black chicken, with a rope tied to its legs. They'd then pull it up and untie it, then send down a white chicken, and pull it up, to see if they needed to send down another black chicken!
My Great Grand-paw told me that method worked quite well! He said it made the chickens testy, but didn't harm them, and it got the chimney clean! rj ;0)

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 2:41PM
zoulas

Just have it professianlly cleaned once per season.

Bookmark   December 24, 2011 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Temperature alarm app for Android?
I am wondering if anyone knows of an Android app that...
armbarangel
cultivator or tiller or both
In the past I've manually tilled and cultivated my...
Bushwhacker Blood
Waterproofing a basement
I get water in my basement just about every spring...
huskymaniacny
What’s a good safe cure to stop or slow root entering sewer line?
What’s a good safe cure to stop or slow root entering...
loger_gw
Backpack Leaf Blowers
I have been looking around at backpack leaf blowers,...
OutdoorGuy1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™