Am I about to make a big mistake?

modern_miss(10A (15 Sunset) SF Bay Area CA)July 22, 2013

I'm about to remove a corner of my lawn to create a patio (out of decomposed granite) and flower bed (see sketch).
The guy who is doing the work with me says we don't need to move or add sprinklers - that the current (old) configuration is fine (he's inexperienced though). It means however that I will be wasting water by watering the new patio - and getting patio furniture wet every time the sprinklers go off. The pipes run north to south. Do you see any way to tweek the existing system so I don't get the flower bed (which will be on drip) and the patio wet? I drew in the existing sprinklers. I'm only concerned about the sprinklers that are closest to the new patio and flower bed. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

mm,
Decomposed granite does not hold up well when wet and walked on. I am surprised you didn't go for a more hard surface that can take water (rain). Make sure the contractor has a good slope that drains water off well and doesn't pond on the surface. I would plug the middle sprinklers and irrigate with just perimeter heads that shoot away from the patio. It looks like you have more than enough coverage and can do without the center ones. Just use half circles and quarter circles to make your coverage. I have a feeling that after awhile the DG patio will eventually be covered with pavers or flagstone. JMHO Aloha

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 9:56PM
modern_miss(10A (15 Sunset) SF Bay Area CA)

Thanks Lehua.
OK. Thanks - I'll do that. We don't get a lot of rain, so I hope we'll be okay. Do you happen to know whether there are sprinklers that will spray three-quarters of a circle? I'm new to irrigation...
Thanks again.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 11:04AM
lehua49

mm,

Yes, They are called adjustable type that can range to whatever degree of circle you need. aloha

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
Making changes of existing irrigation system
Hi folks, am hoping you can help me with these questions. I...
lauriec
How may drip lines for 4' x 8' beds?
Hi there! I'm trying to decide my drip irrigation layout...
Robin Goodrich
My sprinkler system station stopped working
Hello! I have a problem with my sprinkler system. One...
holia123
Yet another request for help identifying irrigation valves
Anyone able to help me identify this valve? The house...
bbaztempe
drip irrigation design
I ran 2 pipes around my property for drip irrigation....
jimmy21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™