New Roses Need Help!

ML5122May 8, 2012

I recently had landscaping work done in my yard and planted several carpet roses. They were doing great and now several plants look like they have a fungus or have been severely burned. I used the Miracle Gro garden feeder recently and followed the instructions to spray the leaves and then water the base of the plant.

What is the problem and how do I treat it?

Photo's are available here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=111932329174617196750&target=ALBUM&id=5740227124447172449&authkey=Gv1sRgCOjj2I7R7POx5wE&invite=CNP_jcoG&feat=email

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

If most of the stuff appeared suddenly within a few days of fertilizing, that would be the cause. It might be owing to a measuring error, or the plants were dehydrated at time of spraying. I would water first and spray in the cool of the morning, if high temps are occurring.

However, the roundish spots with purple rings resemble those produced by a disease, rose spot anthracnose, which you can Google. It spreads following rain with cool temperatures. The pale centers of the spots will crumble and fall out, leaving shot-holes with purple rims. Most roses are not susceptible. I don't think it would create the crumpled edges, which could well result from nitrogen (ammonium) toxicity.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 2:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

If you are in So Cal, it's been a bad spring for roses due to the April rain-then-heat weather. Now that the rains appear to be done for the season, the roses should start to grow new foliage and look a lot better. Rose spot anthracnose seems to be the disease of carpet roses here.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Does Anyone Grow Rina Hugo?
This is a new rose in my garden, and one I'd never...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Blue Girl - bush
I'm starting to think about culling out the noncontenders...
canadian_rose
Partial Shade Miniflora
I am looking for some Minifloras that would be okay...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™