High pitch squeel from drip irrigation line

Flash48(9B)July 22, 2014

HELP Please: My drip irrigation line is producing a loud high pitch sound. I have a 3/4 inch PVC line that has Rainbird XBD-80 8 outlet manifolds located at 7 locations along the run of PVC pipe. Pressure flow at each manifold is controlled by a 30 psi pressure regulator. Of the 8 outlets in each manifold, I am using an average of 5 outlets per manifold. Water flow to the plant is through Rainbird 5 gph pressure compensating modules (emitters). As soon as the system turns on, the squeal noise starts and it is coming from the manifolds. I have tried cleaning the filters in each manifold and have replaced the emitters. Water flow is fine but the sound is driving me bonkers.
Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Pressure is too high before it gets to the pressure reducer for the drip line.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 8:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Flash48(9B)

jean001a, you are absolutely spot on with your reply. Thru the process on elimination I ruled out the filters and emitters so the pressure regulator had to be the source of the noise. It is designed for an inlet pressure of 15-60PSI. My line pressure is 80PSI. I have installed a commercial grade basket filter with 40PSI regulator in line right after the anti-syphon valve and the squeal is gone. I tip my favorite garden hat to you for your help.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
mshepherd2
Avocado tree, brown on tip of leaves
The leaves on my avocado tree are turning brown. They...
dooger2
Greenhouse irrigation advice
We are planning to build a 13'x'30' greenhouse in the...
rogerius
Fertigation help
ok well not new to gardening or growing things as i...
bigpuddin43
rainbird esp-rzx controller problem
After two summers of working normally, this year the...
MikeSanderson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™