How can I remove broken spray head?

ginjjJuly 29, 2005

Rather than digging up the entire body I'd like to try and just remove the broken spray head. The top broke off, leaving the part that screws in. Problem is that it will no longer pop up at all. It just shoots a stream of water straight up. Any hope?

Thanks,

Ginny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
The_Mohave__Kid(Nevada)

Sounds strange LOL ... I'm confused.

If you replace everything besides the body of the head all should work well .. don't * forget * you need to add a nozzle as well.

Good Day ...

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 5:13PM
ginjj

I just checked the proper words for what I'm talking about. The "spray nozzle" has broken off leaving it's base inside the "pop up". I need to get the bottom half of the spray nozzle off before I can screw on another spray nozzle. I've tried using a needle nose plier with no luck. Do I need to dig down and replace the entire pop up or can anyone recommend a way to try and get the broken piece off?

Thanks again,

Ginny

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 11:08PM
The_Mohave__Kid(Nevada)

I don't know ofcourse what kind of pop up spray head you have but in general the top will srew off and then you can remove all the inside parts .. leaving the base in place ... most of the time this works if the bottom is not damaged.

A hint : an old serrated knife or pruning saw can be used to cut grass away from the head .. making room so you can get one or two Channel lock wrenches in to loosen the top of the head.

If the base is also damaged sometimes you can unscrew it from the nipple below .. without digging a hole ( but it's a tricky move ) ... add the base only and flush it out then add back the top and nozzle.

Sometime though you just have to dig the darn thing up.

Good Day ...

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 12:22AM
ginjj

It's a Toro spray head and yes, the top has broken off leaving only the base which is flush with the top of the pop up. If I could get something inside to grab what's left of the spray head!

Thanks for the advice.

Ginny

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 9:34AM
The_Mohave__Kid(Nevada)

Turn on the system and flush it out !!!! LOL

Good Day ...

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
How may drip lines for 4' x 8' beds?
Hi there! I'm trying to decide my drip irrigation layout...
Robin Goodrich
Is it ok to use 16 g wire?
I found a spool of 16g stranded wire under the house...
afbryant
drip irrigation design
I ran 2 pipes around my property for drip irrigation....
jimmy21
Making changes of existing irrigation system
Hi folks, am hoping you can help me with these questions. I...
lauriec
Drip Line Brand Recommendation
It's time to replace my decade-old drip lines. What...
raymondo17
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™