Mixing Hydraulic Fluids in Wood Splitter

jerry_njDecember 2, 2011

I have a new electric log splitter, light duty, only 4 tons. It holds 3.5 quarts of hydraulic fluid and the manual lists several acceptable hydraulic fluids for changing the fluid every 150 hours. Examples are Shell Tellus 22 and Mobil DTE 11. The manual does not indicate what the unit was shipped with.

If I need to add oil to the factory load can I just use one of the listed, or is it unwise to mix different brand fluids? The manual also says "equivalent" oils may also be used, but I have no idea how one determines equivalent. Perhaps any jack oil rated at greater than 4 tons would be acceptable oil.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hippy

Shell Tellus 22 and Mobil DTE 11 are the same exact oils.

SHELL TELLUS OIL S2 V 22 is an ISO 22 weight oil and any brand of ISO 22 hydraulic oil will work fine. When you change it. You can also go with a heavier oil such as ISO 32 which is easier to find at auto parts and farm supply stores.

I have never heard of changing hydraulic oil after X number of hours. For it never goes bad unless it is heated beyond 350 degrees for an extended period of time. We have ran heavy equipment almost 24/7 in mining operations for ten to twelve years and never changed the hydraulic oil in them. Filters yes. But never the oil.

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
Any Good Electric Brushcutter?
I have a small area, my lot is just 1/2ac and less...
InFlux
Adjusting Carb on Toro S200 Snow Blower
I have a small 2 stroke Toro S200 Snow Blower that...
rgress
Craftsman Snowblower Recall
Did anyone else receive a recall notice in the mail...
pjrsjr
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™