Troy-Bilt/Tecumseh engine RPM?

tnriderDecember 1, 2008

I recently picked up a very nice Troy-Bilt Horse tiller, with the HH60 Tecumseh 6 HP engine. It needed carb work, and someone had stretched out the governor spring and messed with the high speed throttle stop. I have put everything back to original parts, and need to know the max no load RPM so I can set the stop properly. I want the max performance, but do not want to overspeed the engine. I have the Tecumseh service manual, but it does not give RPM numbers, making reference to a microfich card, which I do not have access to. Does anyone have this information available?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

All forward speed are given at 3000 rpm so engine speed be 3000 rpm's. Overspeeding give problems with engine oil going to dry type filter that turn into high speed fuel ratio promblems. At rows end always cut throttle back to slower engine speed.

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 9:21PM
jimc_vt(z3Vt)

I believe the HH60 will be "redline" at 3600 RPM's,the killer of these engines was the angle of the motor to the tiller and poor or lack of oil for lubrication ....you have a splash lubricated engine with a dipper attached to the connecting rod) that moves the oil .....use a good quality 30 weight oil ,and you should have no issues ....the biggest problems with Tecumsehs on the Troy-Bilts was w/o a bumper the carbs would get busted off by a vertical object like a fence post .....BTW there was a paper airfilter for these engines and a oil soaked one also ,I always liked the oil soaked because of the dusty conditions they worked in.....the tranny will take 90-140 weight oil ...keep the rear seal area clean by dropping the tines from time to time to scrpae the packed dirt from the seal area ....the same goes for the wheel axle seals ....and if you can remove the rims from the axle and never seize the axle and rims so they do not rust/bond to the axle .....Have a ball Jim

Bookmark   December 8, 2008 at 6:05PM
blehaman_hotmail_com

Desperately need ignition wiring schematic for the HH60 Ignition System. I replaced points, condenser, and gaped points at .020. Still, no spark. Got major problem. Need help, please. LB.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
Tecumseh snow king fuel starvation?
My Tecumseh powered Toro snowblower hunts/surges and...
akachrisinmass
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
Best gas leaf blower?
Can anyone recommend a good gas powered leaf blower?...
robar
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™