Sprinkler valve replacement?

ronnieray(z4 Minn)July 16, 2005

Is anyone aware of where I can find a DIY explanation for replacing a valve on my underground sprinkler system. Over the year I have replaced several heads, but never a valve. If no such DIY site exist, an explanation here would be great. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
The_Mohave__Kid(Nevada)

What kind of valve ?? What kind of manifold .. PVC or Copper pipes going to the valve ?

What is wrong with the valve ?

If the valve is not openning or closing AND the cause is NOT the solenoid or the electrical supply to the valve .. or even the controler then :

Option 1 : Rebuild the valve .. replace all the parts except the base which is plumbed into the system and can't be removed without replumbing. Forget trying to replace parts in the valve .. it's a waste of time and energy and money .. simply replace ALL the parts .. EVERYTHING EXCEPT the base of the valve. Just buy a new valve and exchange all the parts .. solenoid .. top .. spring ect..

Option 2 : If the above does not work .. and sometimes it does not then you will need to replace the whole valve and do some replumbing. If replumbing the new valve is not a big deal you may skip option 1.

Good Day ...

Bookmark   July 16, 2005 at 9:33PM
ronnieray(z4 Minn)

I think I'm going to have to replace the whole valve. The valve is a Toro Pro Flo which I understand is not worth trying to fix. Thus, my original question on how to do the replacement since I never replace a valve before. Thanks.

Bookmark   July 16, 2005 at 9:58PM
dmullen(Southern CA)

If it is plastic, there will probably be little difference in price between buying rebuild parts and buying a new valve. I would go for a new one no matter what.

Bookmark   July 17, 2005 at 2:14AM
more_to_grow(z6CT)

Identify exactly which valve you have, flo pro is a start, but you will want to know if it has male or female threads or barbs or both, does it have flow control? Once you have determined exactly which valve you need, go buy it and give it a good examination, take it apart, not much to it and you will see very clearly what a replacement of "parts" entails.

If it is your intent to replace the entire valve you will have to perform some basic irrigation plumbing, not much to it but you might want to visit some of the DIY sites suggested recently in other posts.

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 2:06PM
heartmd(4MW)

I have a Toro Flo Pro valve with quick connect
solenoid.
There is no water coming on and the solenoid is
okay(it works on another valve)
There is a ring at the top of the valve which I think
is the flo control
I cannot turn it counterclock more than 5 mm. On
another similar valve I can turn this flo control 2-3
turns and more counter clock.
How do I clean the flo control?
Can I just attempt to force it?
KS

Bookmark   June 16, 2006 at 11:44PM
Stewart_Yardley

I guess you should already have a solution by now with all of the above very comprehensive replies. They are very beneficial for me too in case I should ever need to replace my valve. I agree with you that valves are not a common problem, that is why it becomes kind of tough to get a specific answer to your type of question. What I know is just to ensure that the water supply has to be turned off first prior to any piping or waterworks just to be safe.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 12:05AM
homr

You are correct in your earlier statement about the Toro Flo Pro valve. Probably one of the worst and most unreliable valves put out by Toro. I would replace it.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Challenge to Irrigate a New Garden Area
I'm putting up a deer fence to enclose an 95'x35' area....
redsun9
Problem valve
Hi, I have got a problem with my newly installed irrigation...
cozbell93
Irrigation Outage
Had a power outage at my home. I reset the GFI switch...
mchidiac
Continuous Loop Dripline
While watching a YouTube video on drip line installation,...
raymondo17
Irrigating with portable barrels
I'm wanting to irrigate my garden with a series of...
jon2412
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™