well draining soil

bryce5474May 17, 2010

what is well draining soil, can i buy it at the store or do i need to make it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
borderbarb

At the risk of getting caught by a punster ... "well draining soil" is soil through which moisture seeps or permeates easily or ie: "well".

Here is a link that might be useful: Well drained soil

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 7:43PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

When discussing container culture, soils with a high % of small particles hold water tightly in the small spaces between particles. How much water they retain is a direct function of how large or small the particles are. OTOH, soils with a high % of large particles hold less water between the particles. Small particles might be considered 3/32" or smaller. Large particles would be considered 1/8" or larger. Container soils that drain freely will have a large fraction of soil particles >3/32" and a small fraction (15% or less) of particles Another way of looking at it is: A free draining soil is made of particles large enough that most of the water the soil holds is held within the particles and not between them.

Al

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 8:49PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

A well draining soil is one that allows excess water to flow out fairly quickly and does not get water logged.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 7:28AM
sheaviance1(6b)

You can buy soil at the store, I don't suppose I have ever seen store purchased soil that didn't drain well. As a matter of fact, I have had the opposite problem with store puchased soil, some dries out too quickly. I think that is why most of the people here either make their own mix or compost.

I have purchased topsoil from a mulch company that had a lot of clay in it (Tennessee soil is mostly red clay, I am lucky to not have that problem!!) and it had poor drainage which is why I originally came to gardenweb and lurked about to find out how to improve drainage. I usually judge drainage after a rain. Some parts of my yard will hold water for hours after a rain while others, it drains in a matter of minutes.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 8:41AM
More Discussions
Post hole filled with compost for deep soil conditioning
I am trying to find a way to fix my soil as deep and...
taylorjonl
Berm and Top Soil/Tilling?
I plan on creating a low berm - about 6 inches tall...
Bob Sislow
No till garden/no weeds?
Is there a good way to keep weeds down in an established...
hummersteve
how would one add / help mycorrhizae
On another thread (very long and informative - why...
louisianagal
bread in compost
New to composting and confused now. What is wrong with...
jamb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™