Perennial or Annual Hibiscus?

hudsonriverbugJune 28, 2009

I got some seed pods shaped like large Hicory Nuts, and inside each 'lobe' were 6-8 dark brown seeds. Having seen the large flowers last year, I know that these were growing on individual, 3' tall large-leaved plants, not a 'hibiscus' or Rose of Sharon tree. My Mother in Law in Northern Indiana called them 'hibiscus'---large white flowers, about 5" across, but I can't find similar pictures on the Web. She had gotten some roots from a friend the year before, and didn't know if the plants were annual or perennial.

It seems late to finally try to get the seeds to germinate, but if they at least start to grow and maybe return next year it will be worth it. Or, if they are simply some kind of self-seeding annual, I may freeze the seeds and start fresh next spring.

Would anyone possibly know what this plant is, and if it is an annual or perennial?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA

They are perennial hibiscus, look up Mallow, their other name, and you will find the pics that you are looking for.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 1:36PM
remy_gw

Hi,
It is Hibiscus moscheutos. THey come in various shades of white, pink, and red.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus moscheutos pics

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 8:40PM
hudsonriverbug

Thanks so much! Sure enough, the pics showed exactly what I saw last summer. Gonna plant those seeds now and let them at least get going before the snow flies!

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 10:03AM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

Just FYI:

H. moscheutos, aka Rose Mallow, is the main herbaceous perennial species, although most of the newer varieties are hybrids of this one and others. These are typically hardy to zone 5.

H. rosa-sinensis is the "tropical" house or patio plant. There are dozens of varieties.

H. syriacus is the shrub aka Rose of Sharon.

FWIW, one of my favourite of the hardy perennial types, is a white-flowered form called 'Blue River II'. The flowers were pure white, and they continued for an extended period compared with others.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Names of these two plants?
Can someone help me with the names of these two bushes?...
rocklandguyZ8,SC
Does Anyone Do Mixed Perennial Containers For The Deck/Patio?
As opposed to annuals? I've been seeing some pretty...
catkinZ8a
Big Mistake ! Chinese lantern
I just wanted to warn those who are thinking about...
rodco
Bought Colocasia esculenta tubers... now what?
I bought today a pack of 4 Colocasia esculenta tubers. They...
green_go
Name this flowering plant please.
This plant did not die this winter, even tho we've...
jand3737
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™