Question about young maple tree

neptune24April 9, 2012

I have a 4-foot maple tree that I planted at the end of November. It's definitely alive, and has some small buds on it, but is being extremely slow to open up those buds. Most of the other trees/plants in the area leafed out a good while ago. Is that anything to be concerned about?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'd say that your tree is in trouble. I'd evaluate the site first, in order to determine that the soil and drainage are suitable for healthy plants. Then I'd go over the planting and post planting procedures. Of course, we'd like to know if this is a container grown tree or field grown, and any other information you might have.

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 6:58AM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

Wait till June. If it isn't fully leafed, it's a gonner.

Dax

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 7:55AM
neptune24

rhizo_1, I actually planted another maple tree in the same place last June, and it looked great for about a month and a half, but then died. Since we had a very hot summer, that might have been the reason. Anyway, maybe I shouldn't have used the same location, but I didn't have a lot of choices. There are a lot of pine trees nearby, and they've been doing fine for years, so hopefully the soil and drainage are at least adequate. I got the tree from a nursery and planted it into the ground right away in Nov. Thanks for the info--I'll just give it a little more time.

gardener365, OK, thanks, I can wait till June. I have a feeling that it will be okay, but I just don't quite understand why it's being so slow.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 2:10AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

trees should be planted dormant [no leaves] .. in the proper planting season .. for wherever you are ... ah.. GA ...

as an e.g. ... in my MI .. trees are planted.. naked [the trees not me] .. about right now ... 6 to 8 to 10 weeks.. before the heat of summer hits ... giving them time to grow some roots.. to be able to move water.. when the real heat hits ... and in the meantime.. w/o leaves.. they dont suffer as badly ....

so .. planting in june .. in GA .. was a bit late ... and it doesnt surprise me.. that it gave up the ghost ...

good luck with the other

ken

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 7:47AM
neptune24

Thanks, Ken. I'm glad you don't plant your trees while naked. ;)

Yes, this time my maple tree has had a lot more time to adjust, so hopefully it will be fine.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 7:31AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i would not be a pretty site.. lol ...

timing is everything.. with success .. when dealing with trees ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 7:56AM
neptune24

Thanks, Ken.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 7:21AM
More Discussions
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™