Turmeric is breaking ground!!!

wantonamara Z8 CenTexJune 15, 2014

I thought that the cold and dryness had done it in but it is breaking ground! Yea. I was thinking of planting something there but just had not got around to it. I am blessed by my procrastination sometimes. I hope it blooms this year. We eat the bejesus out of it for health reasons. I have only been growing it for one year.

Does anyone else grow Tumeric outside and what is your Zone. Do you have winter moisture, do you mulch, when does your appear in the spring? All the usual questions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Nothing to personally contribute regarding growing it but...
it SO awesome you grow turmeric! I love turmeric in cooking....practically add half a bottle when I make curry, lol.

How many years does it typically take before one can harvest it?

I've seen pics of their flowers before and they are glorious. Please do make sure to show us if yours bloom. ;-)
CMK

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 2:09PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

My husband has an incurable condition of gowths in his lymph nodes and Tumeric and Black Cummin are the only thing that keeps it from advancing. Our food turns orange when he gets a growth and it is remarkable. His doctor is now recommending it to his patients in a indirect way. He mentions that he has a patient who has found relief byâ¦.., it's worth a try. We found this out not through the doctor. There are so many health benefits to Tumeric, it is mind boggling. If BIG PHARMA could make Tumeric illegal, they would. They have tried but were rebuffed because of previous historical uses. SO they don't study it at all.

I think ALL meat gets a rub of Turmeric powder and black pepper. Fat and pepper corns increase the healing capacities of the Turmeric. I pull the skin off of chicken breast and the turmeric powder helps make a tasty visually appealing colored barrier. I won't say crust because people will think Fried crust. I also make a drink of warm coconut milk with Tumeric and black pepper before bed sometimes. It is our version of hot chocolate. Very comforting.

This was its first year in the ground. I was given my turmeric by a Malaysian woman in San Antonio Texas. It is not Far from here but the cold fronts are shorter and milder there. She is in Z9 and I am between Z8b and 8a. I think the boundary goes through my kitchen. I kept it in the big pot the first winter and planted it in one of the few spots that I have some deep soil and not far from where my grey water is dumped. She told me to harvest in October and replant some for the next year. I am thinking that I will start two clumps this year after harvest. One to be undisturbed so maybe I will get a flower and the other to eat on.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 2:39PM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

My mother is a huge proponent of natural medicine. She uses Turmeric in gel-capsules for her arthritis and swears by it...
CMK

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 3:14PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Turmeric is a powerful anti inflammatory, and inflamation is the base cause of many illnesses--from heart disease to arthritis to colon cancer.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 6:10AM
More Discussions
hhibiscus propagation
how much time it takes for rooting airlayering of Hibiscus...
prasadmbd
Achillea sun requirements
I planted a couple of these last year and they were...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Winterizing perennials?
Just moved into a new home with lots of established...
chaven
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™