Shasta Daisy's leaves have all died

Cleopatra3June 17, 2014

Hello, I just received a Shasta Daisy in a 5 gallon or 3 gallon pot, it was doing well for the first 3 days then I noticed that all the leaves have died but the stem is still green. I pulled the dead leaves off and the plant never had gotten dry, so it being dry isn't the problem. No more buds have opened or seem to be opening any time soon. Although there are no more leaves except maybe a few near the top of a couple of the stems but the stems are still a nice green. I pulled it out of the pot and the roots are still all white. Any ideas? Please help don't want to kill it!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Can you show us a picture? You say it has never got dry but did you water it thoroughly?

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 4:48PM
Cleopatra3

Thanks for the reply!. I'm pretty sure I did water it well. I had left it for a night and when I returned it was still moist, but other than that night leaving it had been always in my presence, it's as if overnight it occurred because I remember it when I got it all nice and green and next I know I realized how the leaves were.. No bugs were found on it either.

I'll post a photo first thing tomorrow morning! thanks.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 6:19PM
Cleopatra3

Photos:

http://s91.photobucket.com/user/bananatree3/media/image-4_zpscb22cfb3.jpeg.html?sort=2&o=9

http://s91.photobucket.com/user/bananatree3/media/image_zpsf435835f.jpeg.html?sort=2&o=13

http://s91.photobucket.com/user/bananatree3/media/image-3_zpscdaff716.jpeg.html?sort=2&o=15

If you watch close enough there are a few small ones about 3 inches or 2 inches tall around the edge of the plant that are looking 100% perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 9:23AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

use the HTML codes .. on preview.. if you see them.. we will see them ...

you can edit your post to change such ..

ken

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 10:20AM
donna_in_sask

If this plant was dug up and put into a pot, then it might just be recovering from the move - its focus would be on growing roots rather than flowering if that's the case). Shasta daisies are hard to kill, if the roots look healthy and you aren't letting it dry out completely, it should be fine.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 10:56AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I have to say that from what I can see in the photos I can't see much resemblance to a Shasta Daisy. I may be wrong but the plant looks far too skinny and airy to be even a sick Shasta. Are you certain of the id?

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 12:57PM
Cleopatra3

The photo I put shows how it looked when I received it, full green and with a few small white flowers. I thought it was but I'm sure you could educate me on wether it is or not. I really want this plant to live!

Thank you,
and also the plant hadn't ever been repotted, I had just pulled it out to check out it's roots. It came just like this form the nursery (well the before photo)

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 2:47PM
Buddy-boy

Hi Cleo
Some of the old flower heads I sea look daisy like
Has this plant been situated indoors because it looks like a plant that has not had the appropriate sunlight, if that is the case prune hard and place out doors do not over water, dont kill it with kindness

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 3:07PM
Cleopatra3

Hello! Yes it has been inside for a few or then 3 days that I had it for but as soon as I noticed it had lost all of its leaves I put it outside (person as plant place said it could be placed inside. I now think she was wrong clearly) do u think there is anyway of saving this plant?

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
hhibiscus propagation
how much time it takes for rooting airlayering of Hibiscus...
prasadmbd
Achillea sun requirements
I planted a couple of these last year and they were...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
flowers of Doc.Martin TV show
I am trying to ID the flowers on the side of the road...
maple_man
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™