Simplicity mower deck problem

jlaak5June 17, 2007

Hello all,

Before I send my mower off for repair, I thought I would seek everyones input to determine if the repair can be done myself.

I have a Simplicity Regent lawn tractor. Every now and then when I pull the knob to engage the mower nothing happens. After engaging and disengaging the knob a few times the blades will "kick in". To me it sounds like this may be an electrical problem. Can anyone help??

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tmajor

It does sound electrical. The engage switch could be internally oxidized and not making contact every time. A little WD 40 squirted on/in it won't hurt. Then exercise it a bunch of times. If you hear any noise underneath when you flip the switch, it could be the clutch not engaging (I don't know if the clutch will operate with the engine off or not ... quieter). It could be a bit sticky from rust or dirt. If you have a volt meter you can proceed through the system to see what is or isn't happening. A mallet might lead you to the problem. Tap on the switch, clutch, etc. to see if you can narrow it down, by determining which area helps.

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 12:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theodocius

Check the various safety interlock switches. Seat switch first. Check the electric PTO connector (under the tractor). If you have a few seasons on it, your clutch may require an adjustment (assuming it's an adjustable one). The gap between the clutch plates opens up with use. A wide gap can translate into inconsistent clutch engagement (appears like an electrical problem). My Simplicity needed a clutch adjustment after about the first 150 hr. Seat switch connector was a little loose too (zip tie to keep plug firmly seated in connector). Symptoms just as you described. Your manual will have intructions for clutch adjustment.

t

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Craftsman FS 5500 clutch issue.
With the engine running, when attempting to drive forward...
mrgizmos
Tractor starter-wrong rotation.
As I have been known locally as a lawn tractor fixer,...
rustyj14
New Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine never needs an oil change
Wonder what Taryl at the Grass Roots Garage would have...
txtom50
what yall think about this for a deal a Kubota on CL
here is the link.... what yall think http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4760971779.html thanks...
jeanwedding
old mtd lawnflite chain drive?
Hey I just bought and old riding mower and lo and bohold...
mtdlawnflite
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™