Burying the graft and blackspot canes or canker?

meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevationMay 17, 2014

After this horrible winter, I decided the bury the graft on a Wedgwood rose I transplanted. I love this rose! The reason I don't bury the grafts is because we have high canker pressure here, and I don't know what to do about BS'ed canes, either.

After transplanting, Wedgwood showed one cane that got yellow and spotty its whole short length (to the base), which is typical coming out of winter here. So I cut that cane off, and I'm using Bayer fungicide now that she has symptoms. But I know there are a couple of inches of that cane under the soil now. Do I need to be paranoid about disease running rampant at the very base of her, under soil? Because I get paranoid about these things, you see :D

I like that Bayer is systemic, so maybe that will do?

I really have lost roses to disease getting down very low from a cane and spreading (usually on relatively smaller, ownroot roses though), so how is that handled when the base of the rose is under soil? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I bury mine and then think nothing more about it ever again. If a cane is brown, I cut it off to where the brown ends. If that is down to the soil-line, then I cut it off at the soil-line. Don't think I've ever even considered peeking below the soil-line to see what was going on. Based on my experience, I'd say you're letting your paranoia get the best of you. : )

Relax and let the rose do its own thing?

Kate

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 3:59PM
seil zone 6b MI

I have to agree with Kate. Stop worrying. If the rose is BS prone taking off what's below ground will make no difference. The spores are out there everywhere already. Besides the parts below ground may send you up some brand new basal breaks and that's a good thing!

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 5:13PM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

Well, good :) That makes me feel better.

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 2:21PM
charleney(8a PNW)

I am glad you sprayed the fungicide..I have never had it hurt my roses

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 3:27PM
More Discussions
Rose thorn infection update
For those who missed the last thread on the subject,...
alisande
Planting Rose in Square Container
Hi, I am wondering if I would have any problems planting...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Have roses, need someone with shovel to take them home...
After the last garden move, I swore it wouldn't happen...
roseseek
Montezuma
Does anyone grow this rose? I got one yesterday for...
meandmyyard
Photos won't post
I was able to post a photo from my computer last week....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™