Looking for short hoses

kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)August 28, 2013

I have a couple of places I want to irrigate in my yard and greenhouse, and I want to use single hose electronic timers hooked up to short hoses. I have been having trouble finding short lengths of quality hose, and then the possibility dawned on me that I might be able to use black rubber washing machine hoses for my purpose as they are the right length, pretty inexpensive, and are meant to handle pressure. Can anyone give me a downside to this?

My two thoughts were:
1) Will the hose deteriorate significantly with exposure to the sun's UV?
2) Since these hoses are more rigid than garden hose, is it possible that I could get too big of a pressure buildup if the hose gets all day sun?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

Kud,

There are garden hose or plumbing fittings that turn cut up hose lengths into short hoses. You need to use good quality hose that is reinforced to handle strong pressure. If you need, I can point in the right direction to find them. Use short pieces of pvc pipe as sleeving to keep the sun off the press. Mastic paint also does the job but requires some maintenance after awhile. Pressure is not related to heat pressure, but material expansion and contraction resulting in cracking does. UV rays also will deteriorate pvc pipe but it takes along time and the sleeve will be under pressure. The pvc sleeve can also be painted. JMHO Aloha

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 9:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

Kud,

There are garden hose or plumbing fittings that turn cut up hose lengths into short hoses. You need to use good quality hose that is reinforced to handle strong pressure. If you need, I can point in the right direction to find them. Use short pieces of pvc pipe as sleeving to keep the sun off the press. Mastic paint also does the job but requires some maintenance after awhile. Pressure is not related to heat pressure, but material expansion and contraction resulting in cracking does. UV rays also will deteriorate pvc pipe but it takes along time and the sleeve will be under pressure. The pvc sleeve can also be painted. JMHO Aloha

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
How may drip lines for 4' x 8' beds?
Hi there! I'm trying to decide my drip irrigation layout...
Robin Goodrich
Garden not close to water source. Ideas?
My garden is about 400-500 feet from the closest water...
zrodimel
Best well pump for drip hose irrigation
I am trying to find some information on selecting a...
srbasile
Help/Ideas for 12v watering system
I have an old well the is 4 foot around. It is 10ft...
leggatron
Making changes of existing irrigation system
Hi folks, am hoping you can help me with these questions. I...
lauriec
Sponsored Products
Matson Stainless Steel Corner Medicine Cabinet with Mirror
Signature Hardware
Baliza Pendant by Stonegate Designs
$742.00 | Lumens
Covington Dark Birch Wall Cabinet
Overstock.com
TempTwo-Light Vanity -Brushed Nickel
$94.00 | Bellacor
Keiran 5-lt Chandelier
LBC Lighting