Mutant Coneflower

Chris_in_the_Valley(z7 MD)June 16, 2011

Planted 3 of the new Pow Wow Wild Berry coneflowers last year. Only one bloomed and it was gorgeous. This year all three are blooming abundantly. Problem is, one of the plants bloomed with big healthy looking centers and no petals on about 2/3rds of the flowers. Slowly they are putting out anemic looking petals, one petal at a time. No evidence of the crown of petals as they first form. You know how echinacea send up that crown of pale green petals that slowly lays down and turns pink? None of that.

What has been your experience with plants that do such strange things? Is this condition permanent? Should I keep around a flower that is all brown fuzzy centers (and I'm talking tons of brown fuzzy centers.) What do you figure would happen if I took a cutting from the part of the plant that blooms normally?

Certainly I'm taking a wait and see attitude, but I wanted to know your experience.

Cross posted in Cottage Gardens.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nevermore44 - 6a

if you could post a shot or two, that would help.

off hand i would say it is Eriophyid mites causing the distorted crowns. Check around the internet for imagery. I periodically get them on my collection. Per other sites, they say to remove the head and then in the fall destroy all leaf litter at the end, since the eggs overwinter their. This year i am trying a bayer systemic product to combat them. Will have to see if it helps.

As long as you aren't getting the green colored petals (instead of pink) and the crowns aren't green as well.. this shouldn't be asters yellow.. which would mean you destroy the whole plant.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
Please tell me about baptisia?
I've occasionally seen these plants in local gardens,...
twrosz
Potentilla question
Does anyone have experience with Potentilla fruticosa...
waynez5_ia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™