Newbie to Calla Lily

KarensebJune 7, 2014

We moved to a new home last year and some beautiful Calla lilies came up this year. The plant is huge and was looking great till I turned on the irrigation system. All the water caused all the blooms and leaves to bend over and I think they may be broken.
Should I trim back the broken stalks? What would be a really good support for this plant.
It looks like more shoots are coming up. I cut off about a dozen of the fallen flowers and put them in a vase so not all is lost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Campanula UK Z8

kudos to you - I confess that these are one of my (many) plant fails....even the common (and supposedly easy) white zantedeschia link off to plant heaven after one measly season....ho, and those expensive rehmannii and elliottiias are goners within weeks of my tender care. And you had a dozen to cut off! Lucky if I managed 1 ot 2 so yours must be thriving.For those who can grow them, they do seem to be tough and forgiving - I see clumps of them in the neighbourhood, doing well with no visible signs of care and attention (to my extreme annoyance).
Tricky to arrange a support system - they are not really amenable to paeony hoops...but I expect someone who actually CAN grow these will come along with some useful advice.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 3:23PM
southerngardening24

I bought a few on clearance about a month ago. They looked great. About a week after I planted them their leaves turned yellow and died. Some are regrowing leaves.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 10:33PM
princessgrace79(8 PNW)

These are a "do nothing" plant for me (sorry campanula!) I've never needed to stake them, but mine have never gotten crazy tall like some I have seen in my neighborhood. I would think two stakes and some twine would do it, just something for the top of the plant to lean on. I'd suggest tomatoes cages but your sound too big for them.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 1:15AM
Karenseb

I'm wondering if a large peony hoop would work. Maybe it's too late this year?
I still haven't cut off the bent stems. I thought I'd see if they stay green.
The plant WAS 2 to 3 feet tall!

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 1:03PM
calistoga_al

When I lived on the coast, they grew and flowered with no help at all,many very old, most predating my purchase of the property. Here in the very dry, very warm, Napa valley, they will only survive if you are lucky enough to find just the right spot in your garden. I have some in two gardens that survive and bloom but with very little enthuseism, both patches about 10 years old. Al

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
Agapanthus - where to buy?
I want to grow Agapanthus - the white one. Anyone know...
bluehaven_gweb
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Which are organic fertilizers and where to buy them.
I'm looking for some organic fertilizers which can...
ycmahesh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™