astilbe flowers drying up, and skeletonized leaves

lalalaJune 11, 2009

I planted two new astilbes last fall, and they came in huge and happy this spring. I don't remember the variety--I think it's supposed to have light pink flowers, and the leaves are darker green with reddish stems. They started putting up some flower stalks a few weeks ago, but today I noticed that the flower stalks have stayed small and most of them are dry and shriveled. Also, one of the plants has some skeletonized leaves (though most of the foliage is still healthy). I don't see any obvious bugs. The other astilbes in my yard are doing fine, putting up plenty of good flower stalks. Any ideas as to what is happening? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_4b(z4b WI)

Lack of water? They will crisp up and not bloom if the soil is too dry.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 1:49PM
lalala

It could be water only if these astilbes have greater water requirements than the other varieties--is that possible? The other astilbes (including one other new one of another type) are all in the same bed and are doing fine, and we have an irrigation system so it stays fairly moist.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 2:44PM
ngam(z6a ma)

Well you are pretty sure its not lack of water and only a few leaves have been munched on but the rest look healthy. Three weeks ago when these new flower stalks were growing didn't we have a frost warning or near freezing temps for a couple of nights? Could be this variety was more vulnerable to the temp change than the others. If there is no further damage and the rest of the plant seems healthy I would blame the weather. Cut back the dead flower spikes and look for new growth at the crown. The weather this spring has been a little inconsistent to say the least, no wonder some plants don't know if they are coming or going. I hope it is only that and not one of the ever increasing insect problems that have been imported. Good luck to you and your new astilbe.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 3:22PM
lalala

Yes, we did have a frost warning a few weeks ago, and maybe that did it. Now that I think of it, these particular plants did seem a bit more finicky than the other one that I planted last fall--they had a bit of transplant shock and some dried up foliage. So maybe this variety is more delicate and was damaged either by the cold temps or a brief dry spell.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
Trillium 2015
This thread is for anyone who wants to post pics of...
gardenprincethenetherlandsZ7/8
Why all the old stuff?
I'm curious--why am I seeing so many resurrected posts...
Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
Will the Epimediums make it?
The epimediums ( I have about 20 different varieties)...
laceyvail
Elk in Dogs for mrtulin
The link is in here scroll down and have fun. Some...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Big Mistake ! Chinese lantern
I just wanted to warn those who are thinking about...
rodco
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Mora
Home Depot
Dale Tiffany Lamps 29 in. Lydia Fieldstone Table Lamp TT100588
Home Depot
Delightful Dahlia Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Original Gilded Tulip on White Linen - GOLD
$895.00 | Horchow
Safavieh Handmade Hereditary Burgundy/ Gold Wool Rug (9' x 12')
Overstock.com
Taupe and Beige Flower Pattern Wool 22 x 22 Pillow
$63.60 | Bellacor
Safavieh Handmade Avant-garde Daisies Dark Grey Polyester Rug (7' Square)
Overstock.com
Mr. Wrinkles Garden Statue - 344
$42.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™