Ariens repower question:

bushleague(MA)December 30, 2009

I am in the process of repowering an older Ariens snowthrower. It currently has a 7HP snow king and I am repowering with a 8hp electric start which I took off of an ST824 rust bucket a customer gave me. The only geometry problem I see is that the engine needs to be set back 1 1/4" from the original, and the chute control needs moved outwards to accomadate the carb heater box. There are four studs prodtruding from the tractor base which I assume are serrated and I could simply tap out, but don't seem to want to do so. I just figured on drilling four 5/16" joles and re-using the four studs, or should I get out the cutoff tool and use four new bolts? Thanks for any input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

WOuld the possibility of making an adapter plate allow you to position things better? Otherwise, I'd use new bolts.

Bookmark   December 30, 2009 at 10:37PM
andyma_gw

Cant advise you, but whatever you do, post a follow up please. My latest Ariens re-engine was a direct fit. All I had to do was drive the pulley closer to the engine so the pulley lined up.

Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 9:03AM
canguy(British Columbia)

Some Ariens re powers create an issue with the small belts running off the camshaft, they will not tighten because the new ohv's have a lower crankshaft center line. The engine needs to be shimmed or the idler pulley can be moved to the inside of the belt, the spring then needs to be hooked to the opposite side of the frame.

Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
Old Troybilt Tiller Engine Replacement
I need to replace the eninge on my Troybilt tiller...
themaniam1
Are you finding Insert Pic Attachments to work as printed on this Site
Are you finding Insert Pic Attachments to work as printed...
loger_gw
Who Makes This 'New' Craftsman 50cc Chain Saw?
Doing a little research on possible replacement saws......
pgtr
MTD 8HP SnowBlower
I have an MTD 8hp SnowBlower Mod # 317E640F352. The...
Jeffery Smith
Any owners of the Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus?
I bought this around 1984 and have never seen another...
baymee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™