Crepe myrtle

joytwo1839(z6 TN)May 1, 2012

I know this is the wrong place but couldn't decide where the right place is. I have a 15 year old CM and six two year olds that was fully leafed out before being hit by a heavy frost two weeks ago. Some of the smaller ones have brittle limbs and all of the leaves are dead. Will they recover do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseseek

Brittle limbs are OK as long as they are the thin wood, which occurs all the time with them. If the main limbs are brittle, you may have problems. Try gently scraping the trunks with your thumb nail. See if the cambium layer under the bark still looks fresh, green and healthy. If it does, they should be OK. If it's dark, mushy, like rotting produce in the crisper, begin pruning them back until you reach fresh, green material. Or, just leave them alone and let them show you where they wish to respond. Kim

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 6:27PM
mzstitch(Zone 7b South Carolina)

This happened tso me too. I have to young crepe myrtles side by side in my back yard. One had full leafed out at the time of the frost, for that one the top leaves burnt and the tree seems fine. I'm leaving the dead leaves on and letting the tree recover on its own. The other one was just starting to leaf out, and it has stopped! I haven't scratched the trunk, I just keep talking to it and praying! I just wonder how long it will take to recover if it will! I'm crushed.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 7:23PM
jaxondel

Few plants are as resilient as crepe myrtles. Trust me, Joytwo, you've absolutely nothing to worry about.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 7:43PM
joytwo1839(z6 TN)

Thanks everyone and the last answer I like best.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 7:56PM
joytwo1839(z6 TN)

Guess what - they are all alive except two are coming back from the root - the top part is gone. But the others are just pushing off the dead leaves and moving right alone.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 8:19PM
mzstitch(Zone 7b South Carolina)

Lucky you Joy! Mine appears to be dead!

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Roses from highcountry roses - really disappointed
I received my roses from highcountryroses today. It...
bluehaven_gweb
Help me choose a climbing rose please?
Here is my order..lol - I need a rose that is light...
gardenbug
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™