Back Wheels on Snapper SB locked up

tooltime79(Midwest US)December 26, 2009

I noticed my drive mechanism was slipping yesterday while blowing very heavy, wet snow. All of a sudden the rear wheels locked up tight and I had to drag it home. It's a 1991 Snapper I422 2 stage. I've never had a problem with it until now. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Though not familiar with your exact machine, the answer probably lies inside the lower cover and will need inspection. bolt out of a jack shaft, broken carrier, spring etc.

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 7:38PM
tooltime79(Midwest US)

OK, thanks Tom. I did remove the inspection cover from underneath and found all sorts of rubber material laying in the bottom along with metal shavings. A chunk of rubber got in the sprocket and cog for the rear drive shaft. I cleaned that out and now it rolls freely. I also found the blower drive belt is loose and slapping when disengaged after I removed the belt cover.

Back to the drive system, the vertical wheel is very loose and wobbles side to side so that much be shot. I get just a little forward motion from the drive system now even after adjusting the cable tighter. Seems I have multiple problems here.

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 3:53PM
tomplum

It's not so bad once you have the cover off. It sounds as though that the friction disc came apart and created all kinds of issues. A significant amount of wobble isn't good. While you are there you want to know that the driven plate also seems secure. Look for lateral movement in bearing and such.

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 8:12PM
More Discussions
Disgusted with my Mantis tiller
I've had a Mantis tiller since Spring of 2005. It's...
mitchb2
Brand new chainsaw stalls - tank fuel line above gas level?
Hell all I just bought my first chainsaw: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B008EQ0L3I It's...
theniceguy
Woodzig electric pruner
I have a Woodzig electric pruner and use it often....
ranger_ric
Who Makes This 'New' Craftsman 50cc Chain Saw?
Doing a little research on possible replacement saws......
pgtr
cultivator or tiller or both
In the past I've manually tilled and cultivated my...
Bushwhacker Blood
Sponsored Products
Origami Chandelier by Eurofase
$848.00 | Lumens
Wool Womb Chair and Ottoman
Overstock.com
Smart & Green | Dew LED Indoor Outdoor Lamp
$209.00 | YLighting
Eve Dining Chair in Red
| Dot & Bo
Robert Abbey Magellan Brass and Bronze Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Hyland Leather Sectional - Brighton Ciment Gray
Joybird Furniture
Vibe Lowback Office Chair in Tan
$299.00 | LexMod
Soft Sided Portable Dog Crate - X-Small (21"L x 15"W x 15"H)
$89.50 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™