ty bilt self propelled question

flh69June 27, 2010

I replaced the drive belt for a friend of mine on his Troy Bilt model 466 self propelled mower. It has a two piece pulley that runs on the crank shaft that drives the front wheels.

When everything is tightened down, the pulley still has about 3/16" play between the two sections. This allows the pulley to actually spread apart which allows the belt to go into the pulley which what seems to me to be too far. I looked at his manual and there does not appear to be anything missing from the assembly.

We ran the mower around the yard & it appeared to pull ok. Is the play between the two sections of the pulley normal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustyj14(W/PA)

Check it again! It appears that you have either left out a part, or got it together wrong! I haven't seen that model, but from experience. i'd say that is the problem. Check for a loose Allen screw that allows half the pulley to move. ( if that is how it is made)

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 1:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flh69

Thanks for the reply. I agree it looks as though something is missing but I've checked the assembly with his manual that came with the mower and all parts are there and everything is in the correct order. There no allen screws that holds the pulley together. There is a bolt that goes up thru the center that holds the blade, spacer, etc. together.

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Help! I'm in Safety Switch Hell
Craftsman Model# 917.272030 Engine stalls with clutch...
biggestdaddyo
Everybody getting enough seat time with the snow?
I know I am, way too much and compared to New England,...
exmar
Do "Drift Cutters" work?
Chatting with a buddy in Connecticut, he had about...
exmar
Thoughts on a good lawn tractor.
This appears to be a site of knowledgeable folks with...
VAlandlover
MTD Lawn Tractor Problem
Hello All you intelligent people out there. I have...
Colin_Sch
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™