How close do you plant a Magnolia tree

tj-oakApril 17, 2009

My wife want's a Magnolia tree. I have herd that there roots are like a willow tree (they get 3 to 4 times as wide as the tree is), is that true. If so this is not a tree to plant next to the house???? Also if true, not good to plant by other trees???? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

I'm not sure which Magnolia you are referring to (there are dozens of species and varieties deciduous and evergreen). But to get back to your question, I don't think it's a good idea to plant ANY tree too close to your house or other trees (too much competition for water--magnolias are water-loving). Magnolia roots tend to be thick without too many fibrous roots. It is also true that they tend to be shallow rooted. They are also not the best trees to recuperate from transplanting (so you pretty much want to avoid transplanting wherever you do put it). I made a mistake of planting a M. grandiflora too close to my house. It eventually was removed as it was growing into the house (branches not the roots). When you plant, you really have to consider what the tree will look like in 10 to 20 years (assuming it thrives and continues to grow). If you reply with specifics (the species you like, your zone, sun exposure, etc.), someone may be able to give you a safe minimum planting distance. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Getting below freezing temps tonight, will it hurt my peach tree in bl
I'm in Dalles GA. temps will drop into the high 20's...
abykatz22
general all-purpose fertilizer recommendation?
Can anyone recommend a good, all-purpose granular (perferably...
vlk20
Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry or White Fringe Tree?
They're both adorable! Looking at both of these to...
ilovemytrees
Control Freak
On my way into B'more this morning I saw these Edgeworthia...
sam_md
My Yoshino cherry tree hasn't bloomed yet
I live in GA and have a Yoshino cherry tree that I've...
cherryman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™