Gutter Drain Pipe Make & Material???????

creek_sideSeptember 14, 2010

Our new house has buried (not deep enough) four inch downspout drains running out to the edge of the building site. I hit one while digging, and now I need to repair it. Trouble is, I don't know what this stuff is made of, let alone called. I've never seen anything like it before.

I know it came in sticks, not coils, and is at least semi-rigid. It is white on the outside and black on the inside. At least one end is belled. I don't remember if both ends were belled. It is lightly corrugated.

The damaged part is somewhat flexible. It is torn, not shattered. It feels like vinyl, but I have no idea exactly what it is.

The transitions from the downspouts are handled with what appears to be black PVC or ABS adapters, which are fastened to the pipe with screws. Where a 45 degree angle was needed, a white PVC adapter was inserted between the black adapter and the pipe. It was cemented to the pipe with a clear cement, probably PVC cement. The cement does not appear to be adhering properly to the pipe.

Does anyone have any idea what this stuff is called and/or what it is made of, and who might carry it?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi CS,

Don't know exactly what material. A poly vinyl combo of some sort. The reason is that it has corrugated strength on the outside and a smooth interior for better low sloping flow. Used for gravity flow applications such as your downspout drains. You didn't say if you have a somewhat level yard and long distance runs. that would be why it was used with such shallow invert depths. It can be repaired with black vinyl plastic drain tape or just a good wrapping of duct tape. It can be found at the any hardware store or the big boxers. Aloha

    Bookmark   September 15, 2010 at 7:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Never mind. It's triple wall high density polyethylene (HDPE) pipe. I found another hole in it, left by the clowns who did the final grade, so I dug up a long section and found all the markings.

Bottom line, it's about the same price as thin wall PVC, but costs less to install because the sections snap together, no cement necessary, saving labor.

Disadvantage, it's fragile and essentially unrepairable except by special mechanical fittings or pouring a concrete collar around the damaged section. Nothing really sticks to HDPE. The minimum mandatory bury depth is 12 inches for 4 inch pipe. Mine is about four inches down.

The builder saved money on labor and didn't bother to bury it at the proper depth. We have plenty of slope, so he was just lazy. I get to deal with the consequences.

    Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 9:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Just get a piece of 4" corrugated drain tile and cut it longways on one side. Then you can snap it over the hole like a saddle. Then bury it. It's not a pressure pipe so this will be fine.

    Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 12:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


Well there you go per code. I still think duct tape will work find because of the flow pressure flow from the downspout. JMHO aloha

    Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 7:06PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Rain barrel with gutters that drain to sewer - can't alter gutters
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has advice for how to...
Garden not close to water source. Ideas?
My garden is about 400-500 feet from the closest water...
irrigation advice needed....
I have absolutely no experience with irrigation other...
No battery watering system for small garden: recommendations
Can anyone recommends a watering system that isn't...
Justin Mettam
First experience with irrigation system
Our builder installed, as a part of the "package",...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™