carpinus caroliniana transplanting

c2g(6)April 21, 2014

I know someone who's clearing wide paths through a woodlot that contains some musclewood trees. I'd love to save a few of these and transplant to a nearby woods I'm involved with. I've read these aren't the best at transplanting. I figure this is an idea time to try with little to loose, but has anyone had success with digging up Carpinus caroliniana of about 10' height? I would be able to get them water at the same frequency as if it was a home transplant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i know nothing i particular in regard to this tree ...

but here is a pic of a DORMANT tree .. prunus serotina.. cherry ..... maybe 6 to 8 footer ... date on the pic .. to give you a flavor of how to do it ... i think you can see what is left of the tap root ...

i would not bother with a giant ball of soil ... presuming you have no heavy equipment ...

and this is a bit large.. but you seem to understand that.. and understand the odds .. etc ..

it seems a lot of work.. but if you are up for the struggle.. knock yourself out ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 11:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sara Malone Zone 9b

I have moved big ones successfully using a tree spade (well, a contractor did, not me!). They had trunk calipers of about 3-4" and were easily 10' tall and they didn't skip a beat. That was 10 years ago and they are now enormous. I have also dug up seedlings and transplanted them and they did fine, too. My only suggestion is to make sure to do this while they are dormant (although I dug up all of the seedlings when they had leaves).
I think it's worth a try.

Sara

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
Tree Removal Plan
Hi, I have a 100ft Silver Maple in my front lawn. It...
ACharles
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™