726 snowblower not throwing snow

shirtguyDecember 27, 2009

Today in the middle of clearing 4 ft drifts down my 300 ft driveway the top stage (I believe its called the impeller ) is freeing to stop spinning and not throwing snow. The snow auger throws fine at first but quickly is overwhelm with snow and stops turning.

I don't think I should be able turn it by hand. Is this have a shear bolt. Where would it be? Hope I explained this .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

It sounds as tho you are saying that the front augers are spinning fine under power, but the rear impeller doesn't seem attached to the shaft- correct? These are many times attached with roll pins driven in, but that is not to say you can't use a bolt to allow you to get things finished up. Usually "shear bolts are spec'd in the auger rather than the impeller. The tricky part is to locate the hole in the shaft so you can drive the pin out. It would be better to have make and actual model # to know for sure. You may even have a model which is keyed w/ set screws or that came with a bolt. Only the parts list knows for sure ...

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 8:25PM
shirtguy

Its a older model John Deers 726 I don't have a manual and can't locate a part list.

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 8:56PM
tomplum

Below is a link for JD parts. It shows that the blower fan (IE impeller) is sold as one piece . So if the fan is spinning on the shaft, a visit to a weld shop is the the easiest fix. Otherwise it comes all the apart to repair. You really should have another person to verify what is happening as it is operated.
. Is it more correct to say that the front augers turn fine, but they stop when hitting the snow and the rear impeller is still turning solidly with the shaft? If that is the case, it may just be shear bolts.With the machine off, can you hold 1 auger and turn the other?

Here is a link that might be useful: JD

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 10:04PM
shirtguy

What is happening is that the from auger when lifting the snow up to the impeller. The impeller will not move and the front one also them jams. The impeller moves easy with the machine off.

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 10:23PM
tomplum

Physically it is good to know the fan is solid w/ the shaft and input flows through the gear box to the auger shaft, which is turning the augers as the bolts are still good.That you will have to inspect. Maybe we're just talking a belt or impeller shaft bushing. You just need to get into it.

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 10:54PM
shirtguy

After further troubleshooting it looks like the belt is a little loose this would explain the problem. Sooo I'm not sure how to adjust the tighness of the belt.

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 12:50PM
tomplum

Check the linkage for adjustment. Many of these had ball joints in which you could adjust the length of the rod.

Bookmark   December 29, 2009 at 11:47AM
jammer1(mass)

Sounds like the belt is slipping,to me;...after I went to the link for parts,(wich is a great link by tomplum)I didn't see anything that showed how the impeller/blower was attached to the shaft.Usually they are solidly attached to the shaft,because there is usually no reason to remove them from the shaft. If you want to do a quick check,remove the sparkplug,and try moving the impeller back and forth in the housing ,while the drive for this attachement is engaged. Good luck.......

Bookmark   December 30, 2009 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Brand new chainsaw stalls - tank fuel line above gas level?
Hell all I just bought my first chainsaw: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B008EQ0L3I It's...
theniceguy
Old Troybilt Tiller Engine Replacement
I need to replace the eninge on my Troybilt tiller...
themaniam1
Harbor Freight small utility tralier question
I just purchased this harbor freight trailer. http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html I...
rlmunsey
Deep Spader
Has anyone used a deep spader? How did you like it?...
svachon
cultivator or tiller or both
In the past I've manually tilled and cultivated my...
Bushwhacker Blood
Sponsored Products
Montauk Throw
Home Decorators Collection
Natart | Ithaca Double Dresser
YLiving.com
LSU Tigers 13 1/2"W Plug-In Swag Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Outdoor Lumbar Pillow in Sunbrella Off-White - 20" x 13", Piped
$29.00 | FRONTGATE
Korver Leather Loveseat - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture