Snowblower - Ok for Axle/Sprocket Assemblies to not be Parallel?

tanqueraygDecember 7, 2013

I need to fix an issue with a Jack Assembly (big and little sprocket on an axle) on a Craftsman Snowthrower, 11 HP, Model #536.886220. It appears the axle on it is anchored to the chassis by the retainer/bearings to be at a slight angle (approx 5 degrees) off from being parallel to the other axle/sprocket assemblies that has a chains going to. Does this make sense? I see one retainer/bearing is on a sheet metal section that broke a weld and moves further out of parallel alignment with heavy force. When I make sure it is back in position to the old weld position it is a little better but still a slight angle. I am going to reweld the sheet but am baffled and concerned with this. The chain slipped off recently and I found the weld break but it looks like after a fix it will still be angled. The sprocket teeth look machine to hold the change at an angle if need so maybe this is normal. Please let me know what is normal.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

Please post some good pics of your concerns. I feel you will get more and better replies. In many cases you can see and add better support, Etc to machinery than the manufacturer. Improvements And Whys Are Challenging!

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 10:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_kapaun

Chances are when they flanged up the chassis, the brake operator got the sheet metal off a little bit before he pushed the pedal.
Just from a mechanical sense, the sprocket/chain life would be max if things lined up properly.
Rear derailleur bicycles live with mis matching chain lines, but those parts are considered consumables by anyone that does a lot of riding.

I'd line things up.

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
honda snowblower problem
i have a honda 928 snowblower... good machine, but...
rudall
Disgusted with my Mantis tiller
I've had a Mantis tiller since Spring of 2005. It's...
mitchb2
Looking for a new "top box" for my tool chest.
My old one died of old, old age and I didn't replace...
exmar
Mantis Tiller purge bulb
I cannot get gasoline to come into the purge bulb....
Alice40
good lopping shears???
Looking for a decent pair of lopping shears. Any suggestions? Thanks...
flh69sam
Sponsored Products
Powell Kraven Dark Hazelnut Finish X-base Gathering Table
Overstock.com
Garner Bar Stool in Red
$149.00 | LexMod
Sandusky Lee 600 Series 42 Inch 5 Drawer Lateral Filing Cabinet - 19069R-05
$856.00 | Hayneedle
Pink Polka Dot Little Queen Chair & Ottoman Set
$84.99 | zulily
AICO Furniture - Beverly Blvd 6 Piece Upholstered Queen Bedroom...
Great Furniture Deal
Driftwood Floor Lamp Base
Cost Plus World Market
LBL Modular Tubular Medium 28" Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
Euro Style Lighting
Aspects Work Lighting Farm and Home 1-light 12 in. Silver retrofit worklight
$34.00 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™