Starter Rope Recoil Problems On Weed Eater BV 165 Blower/Vac

loger_gwDecember 22, 2011

Starter Rope Recoil Problems On Weed Eater BV 165 Blower/Vac. The rope's recoil is in the back, bottom, center, between the blower housing and two cycle engine (lots of allen head screws). I could not see a problem but I feel it is cold weather related since this is mainly when the recoiling fails. There was no excess of grime or any restrictions that I could find. Could this be an old spring that the cold weather is affecting?

This was a project that was more trouble than it was worth. Except the 15.00 garage sale purchased engine has worked well since before the mid-90s. Thanks For Any Help! loger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mla2ofus

Try squirting penetrating oil in different places of the recoil housing and recoil to see if that free it up.
Mike

    Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 12:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

Thanks! I soaked it good with PB Blaster Penetrating/Lub before I took it down (knowing I would find something binding, broken or need adjusting. I d/n see a single cause to make it not work consistently. The work to get to the coil spring and re-wind it was the killer. loger

    Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 4:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mla2ofus

I worked on an old homelite chainsaw w/ the same symptoms and finally wound up having to shim the recoil housing out w/ small flat washers between it and the flywheel housing. Worked great after that.
Mike

    Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 10:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

Bingo! Bingo! I Solved The Blower's Problems In My Sleep. In about an hour I Had The Monster Ready For Some Leaves Next Week. A Manual Would Have Been Nice. Putting the blower back together made me realize the blower housing d/n have to come apart but off. Such as: Removing the blower (1 nut) and 4 screws to rem the engine and recoil from the bottom blower housing, 5 screws to get to the recoil on bottom of engine off. I felt I would have to see something different since there is no attempt of recoiling after hearing something slip (as the spring). I felt I saw no way the spring could slip, due to a good lock at the O/S dia and auto catch I/S dia. I made a correction on the coil spring's cover (up vs down) that I c/n see how it mattered but I guess it did because it works fine now.

The Bottom Line, It's Good To Have A Manual, Plus Old Experiences!! Again, "Some Jobs Are Not Worth The Time vs Personal". I can remember shops saying the work is not worth our time, "But This Is What You Can Do To Fix It". loger

    Bookmark   December 24, 2011 at 4:03PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Troy Bilt Horse Drive Shaft Bearings
I took my horse apart because the front transmission...
gildomilo
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™