new mainline tubing

little_minnie(zone 4a)October 31, 2013

I am going to roll out new mainline tubing next spring for my drip system/field crops. Some of the holes are fat and leaky so I will start fresh with new mainline and holes. I have 1/2 inch and 1/2 inch ends and fittings for the mainline. Is it worth getting 3/4 inch to increase flow? I would have to buy new ends and t fittings and so on but only a few.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

l_m,

The 3/4" will decrease loss of pressure by providing a larger volume with the new pipe. It will give you more consistent pressure across the entire lateral by giving more available pressure from the increased volume that the system can use before being restricted. This restriction is caused by the cumulative pressure loss from each orifice ( too many holes). I don't know how the orifices became fat and leaky (chewing insects/rats/squirrels etc?) but the larger pipe would help with the pressure loss with this problem as well. Your flow is dictated by the number of holes and their diameter for your particular system pressure. So a larger pipe diameter does not necessarily mean more flow in the pipe. Hope this makes sense Aloha

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
sprinkler selection question
I'm doing some sprinkler maintenance and replacement...
donkeypebbles
How may drip lines for 4' x 8' beds?
Hi there! I'm trying to decide my drip irrigation layout...
Robin Goodrich
Yet another request for help identifying irrigation valves
Anyone able to help me identify this valve? The house...
bbaztempe
Problem valve
Hi, I have got a problem with my newly installed irrigation...
cozbell93
Avocado tree, brown on tip of leaves
The leaves on my avocado tree are turning brown. They...
dooger2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™