Mulch

turaloora(z10Cal.)May 29, 2014

Whats the best mulch to put under my birdfeeder to catch the fallen seed so they dont sprout? I read somewhere straw. Im wondering where i could buy this other than were people buy hay to feed their horses.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Concrete.

Or cleanup daily.

Or buy higher quality seed which the birds will eat rather than scratch out of the feeder.

Or buy seed preferred by the bird species you have in your region.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 1:30AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

There is no mulch that will keep any seed from sprouting. A concrete pad will make cleanup a bit easier, but even there, given the right conditions, the seeds can germinate.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 6:29AM
gardenper(8)

I put a tray under my feeder. The seeds that fall down, either I can place back into the feeder or some of the birds will eat from there.

I wasn't aware that birds might throw away some seeds they don't want to eat. Having chickens and quail, I thought the wild birds were just as messy about eating. Peck in and lots of stuff just fall out of the trays, though it would be stuff they normally would eat.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 1:27PM
Nevermore44 - 6a

You could try adding chicken wire or an open hardware screening over the seed area so that the sparrows can't throw 75% of the seed out looking for their perfect bite.

Or i have seen where people take the large squirrel baffles and turn them upside down under the feeder so that it catches and funnels all the thrown seed down down to a cup or the like below it.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 1:59PM
More Discussions
No till garden/no weeds?
Is there a good way to keep weeds down in an established...
hummersteve
How can I get my soil to hold water longer?
I live in Augusta and I just bought a bunch of Bricko's...
ryank817
Gorilla hair?
I'm wondering about pros and cons of using redwood...
cakbu
Raised Bed: What to put at the bottom?
Hi everyone, I'm a novice gardener and am working on...
sooby77
Clay
Moving to a new home with a blank canvas and landscape...
dnamama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™