something one step above a soaker hose but not "permanent"?

joeschmoe80(6 (Ohio))October 1, 2013

I'm fairly lacking in knowledge of irrigation systems. My climate is not one that requires "permanent" irrigation systems except in lawns, and that's only if you want it to look like a golf course in the heat of July and August every year.

However, sometimes if things get dry in my planting beds, orchard, veggie garden, etc, even trees that are newly planted, I'd like to have something a bit less cumbersome than soaker hoses, which, while convenient, clog up with my hard water, can only be run in so long of a length (50ft??), & better than a water-wasting rotary or oscillating sprinkler.

What is something that can be relatively easily installed and removed, that is more efficient than an old "sprinkler" but a bit better than a soaker hose for occasional use?

Is that what a "drip line" is? Is there a flexible, removable "drip line" type product out there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sherwood Botsford(3a)

Drippers are too local, and you end up with a very wet tear drop blob of soil with the point of the tear under the dripper. More likely you want what are called spray stakes. Usually you will want two per tree, as many trees don't like to have water sprayed on their trunk on a regular basis. You can use 1 that has a notch in the spray pattern. This will work for young trees.

The sprayer is mounted on a stake, ranging from 6 inches to 3 feet high. A chunk of quarter inch spaghetti tube runs from the stake to a distribution line. Typically a spray stake waters at 5 to 15 gallons per hour. 1/2" distribution line handles 300 gallons per hour, so unless your garden is very large, you can probably do it on a single line.

You also need to put a decent water filter, typically 140 mesh, to keep the tiny orifices from clogging.

Most systems are component. You can choose various bits.

There is often a problem with algae in small systems, especially if they are used infrequently. About once a month, when you run the system do a walk through and verify that everthing is working. I like to do this on a hot afternoon, as I always get soaked taking apart sprayers and sprinklers to clean them while the system is pressurized.

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
mshepherd2
Irrigating with portable barrels
I'm wanting to irrigate my garden with a series of...
jon2412
Drip Line Brand Recommendation
It's time to replace my decade-old drip lines. What...
raymondo17
Avocado tree, brown on tip of leaves
The leaves on my avocado tree are turning brown. They...
dooger2
Irrigation Outage
Had a power outage at my home. I reset the GFI switch...
mchidiac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™