Stihl 010AV

caseyjDecember 8, 2010

I am rebuilding this saw and having trouble getting a spark at the plug. So far, I have replaced the coil and the breaker point all look good. Also the settings for the points and coil are correct. The only thing I can't check is the condenser. Can this prevent a spark? I hate to keep throwing parts at it but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcmoser

Yes, it works inconjunction with the breaker points. Only thing left IMO would be the spark plug wire maybe bad or burnt at the plug end. A bad condenser will give no spark or a weak spark IMO. Needs to be replace when ever the points are replaced.

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 9:11PM
ewalk

Sorry did not see your post case , yes as rc has explained the condensor does work in conjunction with the points for proper spark quality . Always ensure new unit along with points . Keep the other for a spare for testing purposes .

Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 9:37AM
fisher40037

Just install the trigger unit and do away with the points/condenser.

Fish

Bookmark   December 13, 2010 at 6:48AM
hobo1240_msn_com

Thanks folks, I have a new condenser and points to install and will let you know.

Fisher - This was offeresd to me but the guy wasn't sure if it would fit in my saw? I'm not famiiar with it.

I DON"T KNOW the point settings so I am going to start with .20 degrees. Your thoughts? I have been googlging for some time but can't locate this info.

Bookmark   December 16, 2010 at 1:41PM
fisher40037

Yes, the trigger unit bolts on with one of the coil
mounting bolts and is wired directly to the coil.

The point gap should be @ .016

Fish

Bookmark   December 16, 2010 at 4:02PM
caseyj

Thank you again Fisher. I'll keep you posted.

Bookmark   December 16, 2010 at 4:24PM
caseyj

Well, hooray for me, the saw has a good spark. Evidently, the problem was the condenser. I should have worked backwards vs. going from the coil to the plug would have saved a few $$. Now, onto rebuilding the carb. Thanks again for all those who contributed.

My only interest in rebuilding this old saw was that I never had time to use it until my retirement. Last year, I rebuilt a Stihl 048 which is great for cording wood, but not the lightest saw I have used. I hate to see old motors sit. My next project is a 5 hp Johnson outboard that used to belong to my Dad. It's about 60 years old.

Bookmark   December 17, 2010 at 3:32PM
strelnikov(NE IL)

I have an old Echo 280E that belonged to my dad for many years. It was his only saw, he used it to cut firewood to heat his house. I inherited it when he passed away 4 years ago. It's died several times and my wife told me to junk it the last time it died but I keep it running in his memory even though I've spent more keeping it going than it's worth. I'll always remember him cutting wood with this old saw.

Bookmark   December 17, 2010 at 7:38PM
caseyj

Strelnikov -

I know the feeling. Once they are gone all you have is the memories. But that's good. I have some high tech motors on my boat now, but my thoughts always go back to that Johnson 5hp when Dad and I cruised the rivers.

Bookmark   December 18, 2010 at 10:23AM
ewalk

strel: Keep that Old Echo running , very decent saw . I also began the chainsaw adventure through assisting my father back in the late 50's through the early 60's . I still have the two Pioneers that we used a 11-60 (58 cc) with 21 inch roller tip with 404 chain and the limbing saw a P-20 (50 cc) with a 16" solid nose bar and 404 Pitch Chain . Both great Old Timers that Still occasionally run. I had to tear down the P-20 last yr and finally replace coil which began to break down , changed out the points and condenser which were still within spec but since the flywheel was off I did not hesitate on replacing them. As for the 11-60 I have only changed out the Diaphragm and Felt Fuel filter screen and Purge Primer along with new Fuel line since they original components finally succumbed to old age lol . I have ran through a Solo and few Huskys since then , but still keep the Old Girls running for the Sake of my Dad's Memory . The New Stihl MS-260 Pro and MS-361 and Husky 346 XP and Rancher 460 that my Son & I now currently use for Wood Cutting Purposes are much more efficient and safer , but some how don't provide the nostalgic flavour of the Older Vintage units . I still recall my father's Old Pioneer 600 , what a beast , sure wish I had kept that Ole Girly for at least display in the Garage . Oh well cannot keep them all I guess . Enjoy Your Echo Bro !

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 9:19AM
sexton50_live_com

Anyone know where to get a trigger unit? the dealer here don't seem to know anything about it.

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 5:11PM
ewalk

Check out Ebay or the Chainsawer.com Site , Scott has numerous parts availibility .

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
Adjusting Carb on Toro S200 Snow Blower
I have a small 2 stroke Toro S200 Snow Blower that...
rgress
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
No more roll pins
Finally got the roll pins out of the wheels on my Horse...
snuffyinatl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™