Let it rain!

sara_ann-z6bokMay 26, 2014

For about three years now we've had drought conditions. The summers of 2011 and 2012 were both very dry, with not enough spring rain or winter moisture to make up the deficit. Last summer we did have somewhat of a reprieve and it did almost seem like things might be getting back to normal, but we have not had nearly enough rain to make up for our huge shortfall. In April we had less than two inches and up until this point in May we've had very little. Normal rainfall for May around here is usually between 5 - 7 inches. The past couple of days we have had afternoon showers that have brought us just under an inch and thankfully rain is in the forecast! As badly as we need rain, the weatherman still has the nerve to say it could possibly ruin your outdoor plans, that goes all over me, LET IT RAIN, PLEASE! Part of the problem here is our water situation is getting very serious and we need RAIN! As I am writing this, it just started raining!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mirendajean(Donegal, Ireland)

I've the opposite problem. I was enjoying a rare day that was both sunny AND warm (we often get days that have flashes of sunlight but little warmth) when the rain hit again. It can rain here daily. I'd send you some if I could. All the slugs are out having a party and the aphids are happily hiding on the bottoms of leaves enjoying the cool weather. It's absolutely maddening.

M

PS I grew up in VA & IL

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 4:26PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Sara-Ann--my part of Kansas is supposed to be rainy for the next week also. I hope we both get some real rain out of this. As overcast and drippy wet as it has been, there really isn't much water in the soil. Yesterday I had to dig up a suckering rootstock, and after the first inch or so down, it was bone dry below there.

I wish us both a good slow, deep-soaking rain --that's what our roses need!

Kate

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 5:22PM
seil zone 6b MI

We've finally just dried out and warmed up a little around here. I'm enjoying the sun and warmth very much and so are my roses!

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 7:39PM
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

I'll do a rain dance for you all that need it....

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 10:06PM
the_bustopher z6 MO

It is quite dry overall here in the KC area as well. For the past 3 years we have cumulatively been now over 24 inches of rain short of whatever is claimed as average. We are now short already again, and it is supposed to be a rainy time of the year. I hope it is not another year like 2012. That was bad. The weather people on TV keep saying there is a chance of rain, but where is it?

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 11:12PM
sara_ann-z6bok

Seil - I am so happy that you are finally able to enjoy some sunshine and warmth and your roses, I know it was a miserable winter for you! M - I wish you could send some rain to me and Kate! I think Kate would agree, we would be glad to send some sunshine and warmer weather your way! My roses haven't been hurt by the drought yet, but they could be if things don't turn around. It would be so nice if we could all just have the right balance of everything, that's not realistic though. Jim, thank you!

The_bustopher - I know, it is frustrating. We've had hit and miss showers for awhile now, until recently they were totally missing my area. I'm not sure how far behind we are, but I would guess it's probably a similar amount to what yours is.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Mon, May 26, 14 at 23:21

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 11:13PM
kidhorn(7a MD)

all of California and a large chunk of Texas are in severe drought or worse.

US drought map

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Done with Michigan Bulb forever.
I feel like an idiot. The "Dark Dragon"...
Holly Kline
Is this the dreaded Rose Rosette?
I only recently found out about RRD but I thought that...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Double Grafted Rose Bush
I just bought two at my local Lowes ($12.95) but I...
kublakan
Bengal Tiger rose
Im in southeast. I am planting Bengal Tiger rose in...
ladriannec
cold hardiness of 'Leonie Lamesch'?
I am trying to figure out how cold hardy this rose...
jacqueline9CA
Sponsored Products
Gizaun Art Gozleme Cafe Indoor/Outdoor Full Color Cedar Wall Art - GC1624
$79.00 | Hayneedle
Vicolo Outdoor Canvas Art
Grandin Road
New Wave Rain Multi Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Shivali Blue and Off-White Rectangular Throw Pillow with Bella-Dura Fabric, Set
$74.99 | Bellacor
Sealy Hybrid Ability Firm Mattress Set
$1,199.99 | zulily