Weeping Cherry Varieties?

bobby1973April 23, 2010

Hi, I'm in the process of deciding on a pink weeping cherry to buy. I'm faced with 2 types: Prunus Pendula and Plena Rosea. I'm not that familiar with these trees, and would love to hear what others out there have to say about each type. It sounds like the Plena Rosea has 'double flower' blooms. Do they grow about the same size? Is any one more disease resistant than the other? Do they both have similar growth habits, where the branches will cascade down to ground level? Would love to hear what my peers out there think? Thanks a bunch! Btw, one thing I did notice is that the nursery that I visited is charging $285 for the Prunus Pendula and $450 for th Plena Rosea. It's a huge price difference, and yet they're both the same size. So there has to be something unique about the Plena Rosea that justifies the higher price. Look foward to hearing from you guys:) Thanks!

bobby~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

They're both Prunus pendula. Maybe the first one has a single flower, the second is definitely supposed to be a stronger pink double.

I would not pay nearly that much for either, buy a smaller specimen instead.

Recently Lake County (wholesale) nursery, Perry, OH came up with a new introduction, marketed under the selling name Pink Snow Showers, that is supposed to be an improvement. It appeared right away at a garden center here, on the other side of the country, so if you look around you might be able to find one to try.

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 1:17PM
Dan Staley

Way too much to pay. Shop around some more.

Dan

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 1:47PM
bobby1973

Really, you think that's pricey? These are 7-8' tall balled & burlaped trees. I thought that accounted for the high price, as opposed to buying a smaller version of the tree in a container. Thanks for the feedback!

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 3:16PM
trowelgal(Kansas Zone 5)

Bobby, keep that wallet in your pocket and look around. I got one 5' tall at a hardware store that puts a nursery in front every year. Bought it later in the season and it was reduced from $70 to $35 and in a 3 gal. pot. Put it in, it bloomed the next spring then I had to move it to put in a new patio. It loves the new spot as the feet stay shaded most of the day and a little damp. Last year it put on 7' of growth and bloomed really well this spring. I love mine. The birds love to sit in it too, an added bonus. A home one block over has one in their side yard and it is about 20' tall. And my neighbors liked mine so much they put one in their yard.
Hope you find a reasonable one.
Tina

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
general all-purpose fertilizer recommendation?
Can anyone recommend a good, all-purpose granular (perferably...
vlk20
How to tell male and femals Black Gum apart?
There's a Black Gum tree at a local nursery, and I'm...
farmboy1
Bare Roots and the Ticking Clock
I'm having bare root trees delivered to my apartment...
lone_elm_z6
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
American elms seeds wanted
When we were discussing pruning the damaged elm, I...
jocelynpei
Sponsored Products
Twist Design Cherry Wood Coat Rack
Overstock.com
Cherry Tomato Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Flower A Wall Clock by David Scherer
$86.95 | Bellacor
Louie Pendant
Lightology
Fulham THOROLED T1M1UNV012V-60L 60W 12V Output Dimmable LED Driver
EnvironmentalLights.com