Cutting issue, Ariens ZTR with 34" deck

baymee(LehighValleyPA)June 8, 2013

At first, at the slowest speed, it wouldn't cut all the grass in its path. Blades and belt are new, leaving the electric clutch suspect. Bought a new clutch and it cuts good in the blade area, but leaves a blade or two uncut in the center.

This is an untimed, 2 blade deck. There is alot of grass buildup under the deck.

Am I right to think that the way grass gets cut on a two blade deck is that the air pattern pushes/pulls the grass into the blade in the center gap between the two blades?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcbe(6)

four things affect most deck cutting performance beyond sharp blades... OEM blades, deck leveling, ground speed and grass height.
Aftermarket blades are not sometimes the exact length needed to avoid leaving an uncut area/line in the middle. Deck leveling sets the correct "pitch" for optimum blade performance (see your manual). When the grass is thick, wet and heavy - as it is now - slow down. give the deck a chance to stay clean underneath. When cutting grass, take 1/3 the grass height per cut ( grass 3" high, cut 1" off) if you let your lawn turn into a jungle and then expect your machine to immediately turn it back into a golf course, plan on spend some serious bucks for the pro machines. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
John Deere SRX75 Rider Issue
I have an old Deere SRX75 30" rider with a Kawasaki...
itzbinnice
New Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine never needs an oil change
Wonder what Taryl at the Grass Roots Garage would have...
txtom50
Everybody getting enough seat time with the snow?
I know I am, way too much and compared to New England,...
exmar
which is better Simplicity Broadmore 44" or Husqvarna GT48xlsi
I am about ready to order a new mower for my yard....
lcb65
Craftsman FS 5500 clutch issue.
With the engine running, when attempting to drive forward...
mrgizmos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™