Water Bubble under grass

shawni1221December 16, 2009

The other day, I discovered a pocket of water had developed under the grass in my front yard. I googled it and found this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA7iZPymiQM ) which is exactly what I found. My question is, how did this happen? Do I have a drainage problem? I'm concerned about a possible water leak in either my water service pipe or my french drain. The water pocket developed directly above a french drain pipe... Coincidence?? I don't think the french drain is clogged because I can see it pumping out water at the curb. Any advice or thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shawni1221

I just realized this post may be in the wrong forum.... but I'm not sure where else to post it???

Bookmark   December 16, 2009 at 1:36PM
lazy_gardens

What you have, and what's on the video, is the result of shallow sod roots, poor drainage and too much water trying to exit the drains. The water collects under the sod somewhere and just pushes it up.

No fix I can think of, but you do want to check the drain to make sure it's not partly clogged.

It will go away when the excess water drains away.

Bookmark   December 16, 2009 at 2:14PM
shawni1221

Thanks for your response, Lazygardens. My husband popped a whole in it and it did drain. We had a heavy rain (several inches) a few days ago so hopefully this is an isolated incident. However, my husband thinks he needs to dig up the whole yard, lay stone, possibly replace the drain (in case its cracked or broken), etc, etc. I think he's over-reacting. Its certainly far enough away from the house that I would think its not a problem... Hopefully husband will forget about it and leave it alone :) Thanks again.

Bookmark   December 16, 2009 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Greenhouse irrigation advice
We are planning to build a 13'x'30' greenhouse in the...
rogerius
Irrigation Outage
Had a power outage at my home. I reset the GFI switch...
mchidiac
My sprinkler system station stopped working
Hello! I have a problem with my sprinkler system. One...
holia123
Challenge to Irrigate a New Garden Area
I'm putting up a deer fence to enclose an 95'x35' area....
redsun9
Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture Sensor
I'm looking to connect a Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture...
cdmanoise
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™