store bought compost

eyesofthewolf(8b)May 9, 2010

I need to vent to someone, I just bought a label "Organic compost" and when I opened the bag it smelled just like diesel fuel, of course I didn`t use it but I thought what if I would have had a cold or didn`t catch a whiff, I would have killed all my newly planted peppers and tomatoes, I so wish I could produce enough of my own homemade stuff so that I wouldn`t have to trust some company and who knows what goes into it. Oh well buyer beware. I wonder am I the only one who smells the compost? Or is that just a compost wacko thing? :o)Deanna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lloyd

Hi Deanna

I bought a bag of "compost" from a local store when I first started composting to compare it to what I was making. It smelled like the bio-solids the city spreads on the farmland. I e-mailed the company whose name was on the bag, they said they buy the stuff on various contracts across the country and had no idea what went into it.

Never bought another one.

Lloyd

Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 11:11PM
randy_coyote(7)

Deanna,

I can't speak for anyone else, but I smell my compost with every milk crate I sift. I finally realized just the other day why I find it so familiar and pleasant. My compost smells just like an old bait shop my Dad always frequented. It puzzled me at first why compost reminded me of a bait shop, until I remembered this bait shop owner grew his own worms and would let us kids dig around in the worm bins. If my compost smells like a worm ranch, I must be doing something right.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 1:41AM
mustard_seeds(4 -Onalaska Wisconsin)

Deanna - I am glad you didn't put that stuff on your new plants. Sad how smelly store bought stuff might turn people off to the idea of using compost. What sort of limitations are keeping you from making enough of your own?

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 5:28AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Just the term "Organic Compost" should alert someone since that is kind of an oxymoron. I have often wondered what "Inorganic Compost" would be like.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 7:30AM
eyesofthewolf(8b)

Thanks guys, being serious composters I knew you would feel my pain lol. Mustard seeds, last year I started my composting endevors and this year I made 6 new raised beds 5 4x8s and one 2x40 all 2 feet deep or more so the little that I had made from last year didn`t provide the amount that I needed, maybe one day my composting will equal to the amount of the beds, but not for new set ups. I am sure I will always be jealous of Llyods super sized compost! :o)Deanna

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Hand crank or battery grinder/ chipper for the garden?
Good morning all. I'm new to these forums and have...
rhoder551
Miracle-Gro Garden Soil
I was at Home Depot this morning getting a few things...
SneakyP
Use of cut straw for weed barrier
Good Evening! I wanted to get a jump on weed suppression...
sistereinstein (Z5a WI)
Miracle Compost Additive!
Added a bunch to my compost pile and it heated right...
lazy_gardens
Composting paper towels/plates
I'd like to start composting my paper towels/plates,...
sfg_newbie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™