Skyrocket Juniper insect/spider problem

lexis.scofieldApril 27, 2011

So i had brought some skyrocket juniper from the nursery last week and today i finally have time to take a look at them and discover 2 of them have hundreds of white sac on the foliage. i don't know what kind of insect are they, they're brownish red in this stage. And couple of larger harder sac on the trunk and i suspect it is spider since i remove those bigger sac and then there's spider creeping around.

I would like to know how to treat these juniper from all these little creatures? Is there a good way to kill them now and repel them away?

i'm so frustrate to see the skyrocket are full of these insect.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mercurius

Might have bag worms - which can hit all conifers pretty hard. Bagworms should be large enough to pick off by hand. You have pictures of this?

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 11:34AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

why arent you simply returning them ..

who provides infected stock ... and wont stand up and replace them????

you might want to call your local county Ag or extension office and tell them about the business selling infected stock ...

welcome to GW ....

ken

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 12:20PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

[I]'m so frustrate[d] to see the skyrocket[s] are full of these insect[s].

I'd be frustrated as well to expend energy to haul the plants back and get a refund. What a waste of time and energy and pollution into the airfill.

Dan

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 12:50PM
lexis.scofield

I don't have a good picture of those little creature and i remove some of them thinking they will soon develop into something scary. I might made a mistake by removing them as i can't have enough proof of how bad it infected the plant to the nursery i brought.

It is a local nursery not the franchise one so i ain't sure if they gonna accept return.

I already suspect something on the juniper as i saw lots of "new insects" flying and creeping around but am too busy to notice that. Learn my mistake this time as i should check it throughly when i brought them.

i special order them from a nursery which it took me little bit more than an hour to go. Urgh.

It made me feel itchy even look at that right now.

Thank you for all the replies, Mercurius, Ken and Dan!!

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
What does it mean if a tree is "vigorous"?
For example, "This tree tends to be less vigorous...
tlbean2004
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Nutmeg Hickory
Anyone here growing this species? I received one that's...
alabamatreehugger
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™