Like Han Solo in Carbonite

rouge21_gw(5)June 8, 2014

The once in my lifetime ice storm that occurred just pre Christmas 2013 encased our entire Rhodo in a quite thick layer of ice:

And for much of the rest of the winter this same plant experienced temps from -10 F to -15 F (often for days on end).

By coincidence this was the first winter that I did not provide provide protection (a windbreak of burlap).

Now this shrub is by no means an exemplary example of of a rhodo (far from it) but even with all these hardships it has flowered just fine in 2014.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SunnyBorders(5A)

Amazing contrast, Rouge.

From interesting to beautiful.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 8:03PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

I've kind of come to the conclusion this past winter was hard for people, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a winter tough on plants. My losses were minimal and really nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, the last few weeks I have been amazed at how huge and lush everything is this year. The survivors really didn't seem to suffer that much. In fact, maybe it gave them an incentive to grow like they've never grown before. (I'm sure all the rain has helped, but I don't think it's the only factor at play.)

Kevin

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 9:48PM
rouge21_gw(5)

Kevin, there is no doubt that significant continuing snow cover helped perennials but this wouldn't have been much help to trees and taller shrubs. I am disappointed to have lost the top half of my Acer palmatum 'Filigree Green Lace'. The bottom branches, all insulated with that snow are lush and green and the unprotected upper branches are barren.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 10:33PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I just got your reference to Star Wars, Rouge! One of my favorites. :-) Sorry about your Acer palmatum. I have not grown that type but I thought they were slow growing and the form is of particular interest. So will you be able to salvage it with pruning or do you think it is ruined?

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
How about 'SUPERthrive'?
Anybody use this stuff? I bought it but not sure if...
casi
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
Mail Order Question
I would like to order some perennials on line as we...
huckdog1
hhibiscus propagation
how much time it takes for rooting airlayering of Hibiscus...
prasadmbd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™