22 hp Briggs Stuttered and stalled

moonglade(5)June 12, 2013

Ok guys; you have helped me out before, and I need you now. I have a Craftsman GT 3000; with a Briggs and Stratton 22 hp ohv engine. It's eleven years old.

I mow about two acres which is extremely rough. Dandelions, chickweed, crabgrass, etc.. I was finishing mowing today, and the engine just sputtered and died. I will admit it was a little low on oil, but there was no engine noise, no smoke, or any metal against metal sound.
The engine started once, went to it's normal speed for a second, and then died again. Has failed to restart. Any suggestions?

Yes it is a craftsman; so if you help me you can insert joke here.
Thanks to any and all responses!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcbe(6)

one of three things: lack of fuel, lack of spark, lack of compression.
Start with lack of fuel. Remove engine air cleaner. Have assistant try to start engine in normal fashion. Spray several shots of rattlecan carb cleaner directly into carb throat while engine is cranking. If engine attempts to start or "pops", you have a fuel delivery problem.
Ignition: obtain inline spark tester from tractor shop or remove plug and ground to engine block while cranking - look for spark at plug.
Compression: Attempt to turn engine by hand with all drives disengaged. If flywheel turns easily with little/no resistance OR won't turn at all, most likely there are internal mechanical problems.
Post back with results of above tests and we can proceed from there with hopefully best fix.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 4:34PM
tomplum

Fuel cap vent ?

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:27PM
moonglade(5)

rcbe and tomplumb,

Thank you both for your speedy replies. I went out this morning and checked and cleaned the vent cap. Then I squirted carb cleaner into the carb, and voila; it started right up; and is running fine! I always seem to panic when something mechanical happens; and I overlook the obvious.

Around here, they don't call me "The moron with a screwdriver" for nothing! Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:28PM
tomplum

Really? They call me Mr GoodPliers....

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 7:49PM
moonglade(5)

rcbe and tomplumb,

Thank you both for your speedy replies. I went out this morning and checked and cleaned the vent cap. Then I squirted carb cleaner into the carb, and voila; it started right up; and is running fine! I always seem to panic when something mechanical happens; and I overlook the obvious.

Around here, they don't call me "The moron with a screwdriver" for nothing! Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
Briggs & Stratton OHV Intek Hard Starting
I am another of the seemingly many people fighting...
dreamoftheflood
Lawn tractor keeps cutting out
My john Deere l110 is running rough and seems to flooding...
davepoppe
Craftsman rider safety switches
I have a Craftsman mid-engine riding mower with a briggs...
LRM2
Time for a new tractor
According to the shop my JD L110's transaxle is on...
Key Design
Tuff Torq K46 Tranny
I've been reading many of the posts on this site and...
tuco
Sponsored Products
Legion Furniture 49W x 22D in. Bracebridge Granite Vanity Top - LGN396
$399.99 | Hayneedle
Bulletin Brushed Steel Three-Light Pendant
$178.20 | Bellacor
Extension Table 97 by Alvar Aalto - Artek
$2,775.00 | HORNE
MaxLite MLFP22DS4050 Direct Lit LED Flat Panel, 5000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Foliage Table Lamp
Lightology