Any legal beagles out there? 'Wave Petunia' Seed question

mmqchdygg(Z5NH)February 23, 2009

I read this at the Wave site:

Since Wave Petunias are "hybrids" Â crossing two "parent" plants to get a specific "offspring" Â the plants you purchase from the garden center each year are really one-of-a-kinds. Any seed that is taken from Wave Petunias will not grow into the same Wave plant and very likely will not perform in the same way.

And since each Wave series is legally protected and trademarked, collecting and re-planting Wave seeds infringes on our intellectual property. It is best to start fresh each Spring with new, young plants for the best performing petunias!

My question is this: if the seed "will not grow into the same Wave plant and not perform the same way..." then why do they concern themselves with saying that they are "legally protected..." and that "...collecting and re-planting is infringing."

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. Esp since there are a ton of licensed seed sellers out there selling the seeds WITH their "Wave" trademark on them...which to me says that the seed IS fine, and all they want Joe Homeowner to do is buy more plants. And IF I wanted to collect my own seed and grow them in my own garden, I seriously doubt they are going to send the Wave Police after me for 'infringement.'

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floodthelast(5 N. OH)

I think they are trying to keep ppl from trying to sell or trade "wave seed". The comm. seed should be true, but offspring especially open pollinated would be different and not a real "wave".
I don't see how they can say collecting and replanting is an infringement though.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
When to sow annuals?
Do you think it is a valid rule of thumb to use the...
smdmt
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
Newbie question. Would this work?
I have a really large clear plastic bag that I could...
christacharlene
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™