Using Snow to Water plants

lblack61(z5 NY)February 23, 2007

Okay, kinda a silly question, but I am asking it in earnest. I have a porchful of snow and I was wondering if there are any known advantages to using snow to water plants? Does snow have a chemical, natural purity that would make it advantagous? Can I use it for indoor seedlings (ie peppers) without boiling?

I have already taken chunks of it and set it in big pots of plants I have indoors over-wintering. Kinda nice in that it melts gradually and keeps me from overwatering (or winding up with puddles on the floor)

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nurmey(5 Omaha, NE)

The main advantage for me is that it is handy to toss a couple handfuls of snow in a container.

One other thing that makes it better is that it is not full of cloramine which is in abundance in my tap water. Cloramine does not particularly hurt my plants but I'm sure they enjoy a drink without it. I know I sure enjoy drinking water without it! :o)

Bookmark   February 23, 2007 at 6:50PM
lblack61(z5 NY)

I actually did something a couple weeks ago that I hadn't done since I was a kid. I ATE snow.
The dog was eating it while we were snowshoeing (to hydrate herself) and I looked at it and thought, "Boy, that does look good". And there I went. Grabbing fists full of snow and eating it...lol.
Gotta love it if I have to live in it!
Linda

Bookmark   February 23, 2007 at 10:05PM
webkat5(Z6a MO)

The only problem with using it to "water" any plants that are indoors is that it won't do much but wet the surface (or first inch)...this won't do much for the plant...

I do dump it on my outdoor plants (in pots), though....works pretty well!

Bookmark   February 28, 2007 at 6:57PM
mmqchdygg(Z5NH)

I use it now that we have it. Last year my WSd plants I had to do by hand since there wasn't a lot of snow. This year you betcha they are covered and 'watered' with it. When the snow is gone, then I'll have to resort to actually 'working' LOL.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
Milk Cartons (not plastic jugs)
Can I use milk cartons for winter sowing or is the...
luigiwu
Green gunk on my soil: can I salvage?
Here's the facts: Newbie WSer Bought the Miracle Grow...
emcd124
Annuals
Can you wintersow, Tithonia and Salvia now? I have...
bellarosa
Trying again after 10 years..
Hollyhocks, hibiscus, yarrow, delphinium, lychinis,...
CEFreeman_GW
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
Does anyone have any experience wintersowing this species?...
ladyrose65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™